openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Got it - i think now i’ll be notified for every new post on this thread. Sorry :slight_smile:

I just haven’t seen a PI do that between reboots, and then to revert back. I have a 72 hour lease setup on the network which this is connected to, which is usually good, but for some reason when openHABian booted up into production mode it wasn’t good. I put it as a reserved MAC on my DHCP server(not the router or firewall) and it seems to be fine now. I just wasn’t expecting that. I would let people know that they should setup a reserved IP address for it. I agree that they should be on either a static or reserved DHCP system, but people need to know to watch out for that when they change their router. Maybe there should be a gotcha’s page? For some reason if you are using a Cisco(Not a linksys Cisco) DHCP it does this. I just don’t have time to look right now.

Thank you for this distribution.

Agreed. I would add that info to the RPi article or even the general installation overview article, possibly here.

It would be a great help if you could think about that and post an appropriate paragraph in as comment to the following ticket or here (via PM to me).

I agree: Integration of connection to an mqtt-broker would be phantastic :slight_smile:
I am struggling with this for a month on my linux-server.

Logstash or MQTT? The MQTT broker Mosquitto has been part of openHABian since September :wink:
The logging aggregator Logstash is still missing. I’m very interested in that but didn’t find the time…

openHAB 2 has arrived!

Hey everyone,
if you didn’t notice yet, openHAB 2.0.0 was released today (Release blog post).

The stable 2.0.0 version is now selected as the openHAB package installed by openHABian on new systems.
For most it’s recommended to switch over to the stable branch as well. That should be pretty easy:

1. sudo openhabian-config
  2. “Update”
  3. “Basic Setup”
  4. “openHAB 2”

The version string of openHAB should now be “2.0.0-1”, the login screen will read “Release Build”.

That’s it. Party on.

Some might be interested in that: Yes, there will be a menu option to switch between stable, testing and unstable builds. Soon. Some time soon. I’ll keep you posted :smiley:

13 Likes

fyi :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this awesome work :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update and the intruduction!

1 Like

@ThomDietrich I can’t tell you how wonderful this installation method is or how much I appreciate your work. This is just amazing.

I know one thing in the “openHAB 2 has arrived!” post above which concerns me is the “Basic Setup” from the wording on the actual openhabian-config screen I get the feeling that it’s going to reset things and delete my data. Can you expound just a little on what the “Basic Setup” actually does. Certainly a backup is always a good idea, but even with one, I’m very curious as to what to expect this option to do.

Thanks,
Bruce

“Basic Setup” is something I’m definitely planning to restructure/split up/clarify! If you select it, you will see a screen with more details.

It’s not something dangerous for you I’d assume. Currently it does the following tasks:

• Install a bunch of packages, skips if they are already installed
  • copy and replace the latest bundled bash, vim and nano configurations
  • download and set up the latest FireMotD
  • adjust a few permissions

The second step includes setting up the login screen info - for openHAB 2.0 a change was needed here. That’s the only reason for asking to execute “Basic Setup”.

The only thing you might be worried about are your custom bash or vim settings.

1 Like

Oh, ok cool! Thank you so much for that!

update worked… perfectly! Good to know we’re landed on the stable ver!

1 Like

So just a regular update / upgrade from a previous snapshot of OH 2 and that’s it?
will do :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I’m currently reinstalling my entire OH2 platform, I am trying to “migrate” a freshly installed openHABian from the SD to an SSD to use it as a boot medium for my pi 3. I am following the official documentation to do so. Unfortunately, after adding the line program_usb_boot_mode=1 the pi won’t reboot. It just powers off and never boots again. It works flawlessly with a fresh raspbian image.
Does anybody have the same issue? Or has anybody performed a migration to an external drive?

Hi Thom

Will these commands work on manual installation of Openhab beta X?

Is just discovered your work!

Willem

This will not work. That’s why there is an option to move root to an usb device in the openHABian menu.

But as far as I understood this procedure leaves /boot/ on the SD. I just saw this article and will try to perform it after I moved all data onto the SSD.

I’ve got a second Rpi3 with Openhab1 installed. Guess I don’t need that anymore. Go configure that one with opeHABian I think.

Read about crashing SD cards. Is that the reason to move root to an usb device?

Are you thinking about a hassle-free Pine64 image?

@wimu exactly, that is why many people try to move data on an external drive, because steady writing on an SD card or USB stick can corrupt it over time …