2020 Zwave recommendations

Perhaps, but some vendors are region specific. Two of them were already mentioned in this thread.

Please tell us which ones, so noone goes out and buys illegal stuff. Thx!

Zooz and Inovelli have already been mentioned here.

zooz -> CAN, US only (info from zooz)
Inovelli -> CAN, US only
POPP -> not shure for other devices, radiator valves EU only, discontinued but buyable

For the products i use i did a research and added some z-wave freq. availability info above. Illegal is not good. Nonfunctionality of US devices (f.e.) in EU environment and vice versa is even worse - from my point of view. :wink:

Some people have bought “other region” controllers. Unless testing in a Faraday Cage it is not legal from an RF perspective.

My current Zwave devices are (EU frequency)

• Z-Wave.me Z-Wave USB Stick (ZMEEUZB1) works fine with my raspi 3b

• Vision Garage Door Sensor ZG8101 works fine and reliable

• Devolo Home Control Smoke detector 09813 works (we fortunately never had a real alarm though)

• Aeotec ZW141-C Nano Shutter Controller: It works, but I use basic features only (UP, STOP, DOWN)

• Eurotronic Spirit Z-Wave Plus Thermostatic valve: I have 8 of them, which all work now well. I had to return and exchange 5 of them, which were produced in 2019 and which stopped operation undetermanently. They need a good ZWave mesh, since commands get lost in areas of my house with bad ZWave mesh. They are now sold with AEOTEC brand also.

• FIBARO FIBEFGS-213 Single switch: It works well and reliable.

• Aeotec Multi-Sensor 6 ZW100-C: I have 4 of them and they work well also on battery. One battery lives 6 months on average at my site.

• FIBARO FIBEFGS-222 Double switch: It works reliable. Some devices don’t use it as repeater for unknown reason.

• FIBARO FIBEFGDW-002-7 door/window sensor: I have 6 of them and they work well and reliable. They also need a good ZWave mesh.

• Qubino ZMNHOD1 Flush Shutter DC: It works, but I use basic features only

• Aeotec ZW117-C Range extender: I have two of them and help making the ZWave mesh stronger.

I have problems with these ZWave devices:

• devolo Home Control thermostat MT02650: It didn’t react on commands from openHAB changing the temperature. Since that is one of my use cases, I couldn’t use it.

• Steinel Smart Home outdoor motion sensor IS 140-2: It doesn’t completly register with the openHAB ZWave binding.

Hope this helps.

I just received a couple of Zooz ZSE29 outdoor sensors.

They look impressive and either use USB power or 3 AA batteries expected to last up to a year.

Why not? I have a couple of Plugs and they work flawlessly.

Bruce posted an info of a new zooz device / outdoor sensor above. I’d like to check availability at Cyrus (or whereever) for other freq. but can’t find the company / a website. Do you have some more info about Cyrus?
2016: www.cyrus-technology.de → phones
2018: www.cyrus-smarthome.de → vanished

Can you tell me what’s the lux range of these please ?

I’ve been trying various sensors outdoor, but I’m still looking for one to do motion, lux AND humidity like the Aeotec MS6 but outdoors so I need a large lux range. The Cyrus indoor and Aeotec gen 5 top out lux at 1000lx which is unusable outdoors.

I have a few sensors and plugs but have mainly used the sensors. I am getting ready to replace one that needed the battery replaced twice in a year. You get no usable warranty. I purchased from the manufacturer’s store but they wanted me to ship my months old defective item to China at my expense before they would consider a claim.

First remember these are US and Canada only, not legal in Germany.

The Lux trigger ranges from 10 to 900 lux with a reporting frequency of 1 to 1440 minutes.

Thanks. Then forget about these.
The only ones I know to have a usable lux range are the Aeotec MS6 and Fibaro FGMS.
Unfortunately they’re indoor only and yes I already trashed one or two of them trying to use outdoor.
Right now, I’m running one inside a (hopefully) water proof garden lamp enclosure.

I built a z-wave sensor using a binary sensor 100-100000 lux + fibary smart implant. Needs 12V. I can provide more info later, if desired. It’s lux only though.

I bought two sensors on sale to get free shipping.

I will use one to replace a cheap Chinese Neo CoolCam sensor sheltered by a door canopy that has used 2 batteries in a year! It has a temperature sensor my other ones do not have, but I do not use that. Perhaps it is eating batteries but the temperature sensor cannot be disabled :frowning:

Asking the zooz support they wrote me:

quoting zooz support:
Unfortunately the ZSE29 is not available in the EU frequency at this time; it is only available in the North American Z-Wave frequency of 908.42 Mhz. The same applies for the rest of our product line. While I don’t believe we have an EU product line planned at this time, but I’ll pass on the suggestion to our development team for their review.

Too bad.

Somebody earlier thought Cyrus may have the same or similar products.

If you read above: i already asked him for more info if available. But Cyrus seems not be existant any more anyway, from what i found on the web.

Some products are sold still unter this name. No outdoor sensor, though. I did not compare others with zooz devices. zooz does not seem to be related with Cyrus, nor an other brand supplying other z-wave freq.

1 Like

Likely the same Chinese factory.

I have a Monoprice 4-in-1 sensor that is definitely a rebrand of the Zooz 4-in-1 (and identifies as a Zooz on my network). Might have been the same thing with Cyrus, but 'm guessing the brand folded.

There’s a “Cyrus Audio” that looks to be based in the UK, but it doesn’t seem to be related.