2020 Zwave recommendations

Just for clarity. mine uses (2) x AAA batteries

1 Like

Oops, mine too.

1 Like

Ah, yes, you’re right. I remembered incorrectly. The V1 used AAA batteries

The Zooz outdoor sensor uses 3 AA batteries

I breiefly tested UV on one and got only low single-digit values.
I think it was when directed straight at the sun in late winter and there was still a solid Layer of snow on the ground. Not usable for me as the sensor is not encapsulated for outdoor use.

I do not use the vibration sensor, so I have not created Items for my sensors.
Except for the first one that did report vibration when tested.
So I just assumed vibration sensing was ready to use in case a need for it emerged…

In any case, the MS6 is THE sensor for zwave

I just recently purchased the Zooz Z2 stick. Seems to be working but I can’t get the z-wave network viewer to show anything (I previously could with my Aeotec before it bad). Are you able to see yours in OH? Just checking in case it’s because of the Zooz stick or something in my setup. Thanks for any feedback.

Works fine for me.

I have around 60 z-wave devices in my home.
To make things short, Fibaro Dimmer 2 really delivers. Very stable and a lot of functions. I have been using them since 2016.

Really like the Fibaro Smart Implant as well. Although somewhat expensive it is IMO still a really great product.

/S

1 Like

@Tushar_Talele

Zooz is an excellent choice for openHAB in North America. Their top notch support has been very helpful to be sure their products work with openHAB, Their online store has sales from time to time too.

I loved Inovelli Products but you may be interested in this email I received from them regarding Dimmers, but their general view on supplying the Canadian Market - I certainly wont be purchasing any products of theirs in the future.

"It will not be anytime soon. My guess is not likely in 2022 at all. Supply chains are all out of whack and I do not believe we will even be getting any more product ourselves in the US until Q2. Some components of the switches have 50+ week lead times. Given a huge increase in shipping/freight costs as well and how fast we sell out of things, it makes better business sense for us to ship everything to the US for our own supply.

We also were not satisfied with the way our partnership with Aartech panned out (not their fault) so we are unsure if we will be moving forward with them in the future. If anything, we will likely go back to selling on Amazon.ca when we are ready to ship product to Canada again."

Seems like a reasonable stance to me. Our population (38M) is smaller than the state of California (39M), and shipping to us costs more than shipping to Hawaii. If they don’t have a solid partner for importing/exporting, they’ll have to build the channel themselves (though it sounds like they haven’t closed the door on Aartech). And if you can’t get enough product to supply the channel, why bother unless you can actually generate more profit? Unfortunately, Canada is a net negative for them until the world’s supply-chain issues are resolved.

But hey, at least we never ran out of toilet paper!

Have Fibaro and Aeotec single switches tucked behind a couple of light switches. Both work just fine, very reliable. I’d say the Aeotec is marginally slower to respond than the Fibaro ones.

Have 3 MCO Home thermostats for UFH, all work great from a Z-wave perspective.

Had 1 outdoor Steinel Z-wave floodlight. Brutal piece of junk. When added to my Z-wave network it “infected” the network! All other devices started acting strange, unresponsive or lights coming on by themselves. Got rid of it and everything back to stable again. Never again on the Steinel.