3D printed Weather station + OH + HABPanel :D

Clever! I am looking at adding an ESP32 based instrument for wind speed an direction on the roof, where I could get power to - but a solar-powered solution would be nice. This instrument could reach the LAN and publish MQTT directly.

It would sleep when there is no wind, which might be enough of the time to stay powered.

And maybe add a wind-powered generator to complement the PV cell.

If you’re using the esp32 you have more options available to you. You could measure wind speed and direction using the ULP and wake the main core and modem to send data every 5 minutes or so.
ULP-only is using 800uA :smiley:

Regarding using wind, that would be good too. I was looking at the thing yesterday and thought if I printed a small turbine I could use a spare motor I have as a small gennie. Clamp it with a zener and you’ve got a good solar and wind combination :slight_smile:

Get the esp with the external antenna (yaggi if you needed) on and you should have lots of range :smiley:

You are overestimating my talent. :smiley:

it’s called copy/paste programming. We’re all good at it :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve added the code to github. https://github.com/CrispinP/WeatherStation
Hoping this works. It’s the first time I have actually submitted code so, well, hoping it’s good :slight_smile:

Do you have plans to add further sensors? Like windsensor, rainmeter, lightsensor, …

I have some power outlets in the garden and can power my esp8266 with this. So even sensors, which have to be always on can be used. I think this would not be too much work? Only add a few lines for additional sensors? Most of the work is done already. Maybe i can provide you some code from blogs with similar projects? Bad side of the other projects is, they mostly are not providing good interfaces for openhab - like MQTT in your project.

thanks for the code hopefully your new sleep pattern helps

I didn’t think you forked the code from the instructables the housing was the same but pretty well everything else inside was different .

I am currently using a wemos with tasmota on it for my 4 channel garden irrigation system water lvl tracking in my rain water tanks and temp/humidity readings.

No real plans for it. I might add a rain sensor but wind, not at the moment. I’ve got other projects on in front of this one. :slight_smile:

For those who wanted the code, the version last night was dodgy and causing crashdumps :frowning:

In more refactoring I changed the wifi library to use only use wifi manager if no saved wifi details. The effect of this is the wifi start up time went from 2-3 seconds to 200ms!! The whole thing now runs in roughly 400ms.

I’ve hurt my battery capacity last night due to the constant crashdumps. Hoping the new, 1300% startup improvements allows me to recoup some in this miserable winter weather…

Quite pleased with that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Frustratingly the parts arrived from China today so I converted it all to no longer use the Dallas 1wire and DHT11 but rather the bme280.

As a consequence of that we now have

• air pressure
  • relative altitude (assuming air pressure at sea level is 1013.25)
  • dew point

A downside is that the 280 takes around 100ms to boot up, stabilise and return values. A bit slow but there you go…

Anyway, newest code is now in github.

As an aside, with pretty much no sun today we’ve had a net-zero battery usage so the new boot times are making a differnce :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awsome looks good glad to see the solar thing is working out mice to know these can be used lower power too