3rd Party Bluetooth Binding. Beta testers needed

I’ve tried NUT with this binding. First i had TinyB, but when I’ve changed to bluegiga stability was improved a lot.

Thanks Again Vlad!

Is there any documentation or guide on how to setup multiple adapters throughout the house? Do I need a raspberry pi for each adapter etc?
If so, would the Bluetooth in the raspberry pi zero W be suitable?

Does anyone have idea how to disable mentioned logs?

Be interested to hear how you get on with that Parani, I was considering getting something a little stronger signal wise as it could then act as more of a geolocation around the house, (ie to give my home rules a chance to fire and set up), rather than things happening as I get to my front door, (as far as I expect the Pi Bluetooth signal range to be).

My fear is at that sort of range I’ll be picking up every mobile and device for the whole street!

PS - One nut mini ordered, I’ll crack on with the testing over the weekend!

Hi! Thanks for the great binding. Is there any way to change how often the binding reads the data from the xiaomi thermometer? Now it gets updated in every 10 seconds and I’m afraid the intensive logging will damage the SD card.

Hi @orzechszek, rise the log level to WARN to disable all WARN messages for the binding packages. Same as you do above or via karaf console:

log:set WARN org.sputnikdev.bluetooth.manager.transport.bluegiga
log:set WARN org.sputnikdev.bluetooth.manager.transport.tinyb
log:set WARN org.sputnikdev.bluetooth.manager.impl

Hi @zsbagyura, what kind of messages you get in your logs?

Found this interesting project that allows you to run javascript on nrf5X chip: http://www.espruino.com/

If this really true and it is capable of running JS and controlling BT stack on nrf51822 chip, then it will make a lot easier to create some custom devices that should work with this binding.

Someone even managed to run it on a cheap key tag/tracker: http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/320879/. Which means that we can fix key trackers (dodgy from aliexpress) with this and make it working in a proper way, and maybe even make use of tracker button.

Thanks for info, but something is wrong. I’ve even try to turn off logging with:
log:set OFF org.sputnikdev.bluetooth.manager.transport.bluegiga
log:set OFF org.sputnikdev.bluetooth.manager.impl
and logs still occurs. Any idea?

Hi all,

nutMini arrived today, and I’ve had a bit of time this evening to have a play.

I followed all the instructions to install the 2 adapters, (I installed them both - belt and braces and all), then the actual Bluetooth binding.

It found my RaspPi Bluetooth and I added that as a thing.

Nothing happened for auto discovery but a quick reboot of the RaspPi and stuff started dropping into the inbox.

Only problem was they were all randoms and no nut BTL device. After some head scratching I realised that it might only accept one connection - I had foolishly downloaded the app to my phone and connected it to that to make sure the firmware was up to date. A quick unbind from there and sure enough the nut appeared in my OH inbox, great!

Installed the nut thing and added the channels etc and one working presence device. Wandered around the house, put the nut in the washing machine and status turned to off, back towards the pi and it’s back on again…great.

My only issue now is range, where I put my keys and where the pi is located are right on the edge of the RaspPi Bluetooth range so I my need to get a BT dongle with longer range but that is a minor.

@vkolotov - Amazing work man, you should be totally proud, works an absolute treat!

I’ll report back after a few proper tests.

1 Like

Hi @orzechszek, sorry did not pay attention to the actual log you’ve posted. Wrong package name, try this:

log:set WARN com.zsmartsystems.bluetooth.bluegiga
log:set WARN org.sputnikdev.bluetooth.manager.transport.bluegiga

Also please play with log level, you may need to set it to ERROR instead of WARN. I think when you set it to ERROR, this will suppress all logs lower than ERROR, e.g. WARN, INFO and DEBUG.

Much better. Thanks!

Sorry for the late response. So, I see INFO level messages from my xiaomi bluetooth thermometer that the temperature and the humidity is changed to something from something in every 10 seconds. This means quite a huge number of logs in every hour (2x6X60). I think it would be better the “read” this data from the thermometer only 1 or 2 times in an hour. What ddo you think? Is there any way to set uo the binding the support this?

That device has blew up in my hands and scared the shit of me when I wired it up for testing. Terrific. Opened a case with BG. It is 220v rated. Two PCBs, one ac/dc converter and actual BT module with button.

HI,

Latest update, good and bad…

The nut itself is great, works fine and more importantly, works as advertised without any further interaction once it’s set up.

The bad is that the Bluetooth signal just about reaches 10m which in my house and through walls etc is right on the limit of where I place my car keys so often the presence switch on OH flips from home to away so any rules incorrectly run.

I’m going to have a play with the Pi location to see if moving it aids signal, if not I’ll need to add a Bluetooth dongle with better range, (any recommendations welcome), before this set up is valid for a legitimate presence rule.

Do you have dongle with tinyB or Bluegiga?

I’m currently using the Pi inbuilt Bluetooth…

what about a cable going to area you need? and you can install another bluegiga lets say…
i plan to do this with my room… i already have USB cable going there , but i am not sure if it will supply enough power as some USB mouses are not working for lack of power…
will test and report once i will get my nuts :slight_smile:

Wow that’s bad. Did it blow straight away or after some time? Did you have a load on it (bulb)?
Mine is stuck in customs ATM should have it soon.

What is very interesting is the construction, you can clearly see a separate power and logic board (with bluetooth controller), having only a 2 pin power connection. I don’t see how it’s doing a control line for switching/dimming. I bet that logic board might still be good. Might do an eevblog when I get mine… Don’t turn it on, take it apart!