A new IDE and runtime for everyone!

Normally the ‘actions’ from openhab are also available in the designer when editing rules. I mean actions like pushover(), sendMail(), etc. They’re defined in the feature.xml for the designer in the openhab repo, which don’t seem to be included when building the designer from the ESH repo.

@Kai I am assuming org.eclipse.smarthome.test ? It does not exist in the IDE as a bundle from what I can tell. There are other subproject tests for example org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.test, but nothing at the higher level. I then looked in the manifest for the astro binding, but it doesn’t reference org.eclipse.smarthome.test either. Some other bindings do, such as HUE though. Can you offer a little more guidance?

Which installation options did you choose? I assume you also selected the ESH+OH core bundles, so you have a “Runtime” working set in your workspace, right?
I have just closed all projects in this working set for a test (simply choose “Runtime” and close all projects with a single click). I was then able to successfully export an OH2 binding.

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you @Kai

This is correct, although a few add-on actions were also missing in the openHAB Designer.
But you are right, how add-on actions can be supported in the ESH Designer is an open issue - I have just created Introduce a mechanism to easily register action method signatures · Issue #997 · eclipse-archived/smarthome · GitHub for tracking this. If anybody has a good suggestion on how this could be implemented, please feel free to comment on it.

@oliver_kuhl
I’ve had this issue as well, there is a simple way to preserve your javadoc formatting:put a // @formatter:off above the start of the javadoc and // @formatter:on after, like this:

// @formatter:off
/**
* This is my nicely formatted javadoc
*/
// @formatter:on
1 Like

I’ve finally decided to bite the bullet and try and set up the new IDE to fix a OH1 Netatmo defect. I followed the instructions at https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/blob/master/docs/sources/development/ide.md, but how do I configure the binding? By this I mean where do I create a config file with the OH1 config info.

In conf/services/netatmo.cfg?

Exactly, can somebody provide steps how to get a OH1 config working including items and sitemaps with the IDE?

1 Like

( @Kai ) I accidentally deleted the default selected plugins in the runtime configuration, which ones should I enable to het de included demo running and de console interface?

At startup it keeps asking for

‘git.clone.esh.location’ (undeclared)

Variable

Only when ESH is cloned I guess.

Thank you Kai for your time invested in this project and answering (even) to beginners’ questions. I understand that importing OpenHAB2 environment to an existing installation of Eclipse is complicated but is it doable? The installer just does not run for me.

But maybe I could do it in a virtual guest so no panic on this one.

1 Like

Anyone know how to solve this one? It doesn’t happen on a fresh install on my Mac, but in Linux it does. It happens when the startup tasks are started - I guess it’s after a foldername that wasn’t stored during the initial setup?

@bhuism id you manage to solve this? I’ve not needed to get this working on Linux yet, but will start to look at this tonight. If you’ve managed to work out what’s wrong with the setup, it would be good - if not, I’ll have a play and try and work out how to get the IDE running…

I just press cancel :hugs: @kai probaply knows a fix I think

I don’t, but I am looking into it.
What I found is that this only occurs if you select “ESH + OH2 Core Bundles”, so this might actually be the difference for @chris between Mac + Linux setup?

With a bit of luck, this fixes the issue: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/pull/154
It might take a day before the Eclipse Installer refers to this new version.

1 Like

No - I have the same on both setups…

Thanks for looking into this.

Yes, it absolutely is doable. You mainly have to check out from git yourself, import the projects in the workspace and set the target platform. This should make the projects compile nicely in a standard Eclipse IDE as well!

I have downloaded this runtime today. The setup was really easy! Thanks for your work on this.

Yet, when I want to test a new (OpenHAB2) Addon I’m struggling with loading this new binding. From other annoucements I got the impression that OH2 now runs on Karaf, but the console output clearly states the use of Equinox. So how do I load an additional addon into the runtime?