A new IDE and runtime for everyone!

I reinstalled the projects but this time I selected all the openhab projects.

When I open the openHAB launch configuration and it starts running fine.

Is that launch config running openHAB2?

I did try the complete install on a windows machine (dual boot laptop) and everything seemed to work ok, but again I needed to install all the openHAB projects

The maven I downloaded for windows was 3.3.9 and the one on Ubuntu 15.10 was 3.3.3

I guess I can use windows for the moment, until Ubuntu 16.04 comes outā€¦

Tom

Sorry for probably a stupid question: when I start OH from Eclipse, I first see that no bindings are selected from my workspace. But then when I open Paper UI, I can see that few bindings are installed (hue, NTP, yahooweather). Why ?
If I go to the extensions in Paper UI, I see several bindings with random names. Is it normal ?

They are selected below, from the bundles in the target platform.

If I go to the extensions in Paper UI, I see several bindings with random names. Is it normal ?

Yes, this is just a demo of the extension feature for testing. In the distro, this is implemented to use Karaf, which is not possible to use from within the IDE.

When running OH from Eclipse, I can see that a demo package is started. I would like to add my own sitemap and items but I donā€™t find and donā€™t understand where the usual files (conf folder) are stored on my PC in this case.
Can anyone help me please ?

They are in here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/tree/master/features/openhab-demo-resources/src/main/resources

In your workspace, you find it in the ā€œInfrastructureā€ working set, project ā€œdemo-resourcesā€.

Iā€™ve run the eclipse installer, went to advanced mode and selected the openhab2 projects. The installer succeeds, but no code is ever checked out of github. I confirmed my github user id is correct in the variables screen.

Iā€™m comfortable checking out from github myself, but how do I configure the projects in eclipse?

Dave

FYI, the installer log is here http://pastebin.com/bxLy5Qta

I now realize the code gets checked out after the eclipse instance starts up
Now on to fixing the compiler errorsā€¦

Has anybody successfully compiled OpenHAB2 using IntelliJ? Iā€™ve given up on Eclipse a few years back and do not wish to go back to it.
xylo, have you been able to do it?

PS: I did try to follow the Eclipse installation video, but there is nowhere to put github id and password. After that it never opened the project as shown in the video and I have no clue how to go beyond there.

I never gave in to IntelliJ, but afaik there is no proper support for the manifest-first approach of OSGi bundle development, is there?

I am currently experimenting with making binding development possible through bndtools instead of Maven Tycho - if I get this working nicely and the community is fine with moving to such a new build system / tooling, this would also open the path to using IntelliJ.

Regards,
Kai

1 Like

Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with OSGi to answer that question. My non familiarity with it is a big reason for which I could not do anything to try IntelliJ.
Do you have any estimate as to when you expect to have the bndtools instead of Tycho?

Hi All,

I hope to be in the right discussion.
Iā€™m working with OpeHab 1.8.x on Yoxos. I donā€™t understand if is possible to export my source in new IDE or it is only for OH2.
Maybe there is already a answer to this question but I havenā€™t find it: if I see different setup/configuration options I never find this one.
Can you help me?

Thanks
Antonio

Yes, the IDE also works for openHAB 1.x development. In step 4, you can choose the openHAB 1 addons repo and these projects will be automatically imported in your workspace. Likewise, you can import your own proprietary projects in there.

No, because I actually came across blocking issues, since bndtools currently does not support multi-repo workspaces, so I donā€™t see a solution in the near future.

Does anyone else have problems with the latest IDE. I have couple of older IDEā€™s (MARS.1) installed with Eclipse Installer, which still works fine. I just tried to install latest one, but I got following error

IDE is pretty useless as Java Tooling does not work.

My env is:
OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
java version ā€œ1.8.0_101ā€
Javaā„¢ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
Java HotSpotā„¢ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

Any ideas to solve the problem?

Seems to work fine with Neon (I had still Mars selected in Eclipse Installer).