Absolute new beginner

Is about Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+.

That one has builtin WiFi so you donā€™t need any USB.
But if by ā€œwirelessā€ you mean ZWave (you didnā€™t answer my question there) then yes you will need a USB stick for that.

Not Z-Wave. Wi-fi. For Z-Wave i will use Z Stick.

Mainly because it supports backup and restore and has so-so support for Zigbee. I wouldnā€™t choose it over a Gen 5 Aeotech if all I cared about was zwave. It is also hard to get. GoControl stopped making them.

1 Like

An A/C unit (IR) can be somehow controlled with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+?

I havenā€™t tried this but a google search found that an Esp8266 with IR connected could send the same messages as the A/C remote. You would need to decode the remote first, then communicate with the Esp via mqtt with OH. In OH create your mqtt messages with the command to turn on/off, heat/cool, etcā€¦ with the info you got from decoding the remote.

Hereā€™s the link

https://github.com/markszabo/IRremoteESP8266

If the RPI was close enough to the A/C you may be able to do the same thing using the Piā€™s GPIO pins, you will need to do some reading to verify.

If you donā€™t have an Esp8266 or Esp32 I would recommend trying them out. I use quite a few of them and have no issues. Also, I would advise starting with an Esp Development board like this
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Internet-Development-Wireless-Micropython/dp/B010N1SPRK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536843873&sr=8-3&keywords=esp8266+nodemcu

I think this is the same ones I bought when I first started using Espā€™s. With this and OH you can use it not only for your A/C idea but others as well. I currently have one in my garage with two door switches, potocell, and motion sensor connected and communicating with OH flawlessly.

Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas. Iā€™ve found with OH and a few inexpensive devices the only limits are your imagination.:grinning:

Best of Luck

Please read up more on the topic before putting up questions, and ask specific questions. Minimum would be to name the AC model and explain the HW setup you want to use.
Sorry for being harsh, but this forum is on openHAB, not for general home automation advice, and noone wants to write lengthy explanations starting with Adam & Eve just because you give too little detail.