AD2USB not sending messages to OpenHab

I have been running it successfully for several years now with no trouble. I even found a way to Multiplex the output via socat feeding it to both the openhab alarm decoder binding and until netsession simultaneously using the ncat package. I will try to find my notes and give you some more feedback.

That would be amazing if possible, thank you so much!

Are you running the new OH2 version of the binding?

Sorry, yes- OH2 version of the binding, and my OH version is 2.5.5.

Marcus,

I realize now you are referring to running the binding on windows. I switched to linux not long after my failed attempt at running OH on windows with AD2USB, and have had no issues since. Unfortunately the fix I mentioned only applies to linux, not windows. Sorry I don’t have any more ideas.

Ah I see. Well thanks for the effort. I ended up finding a workaround - for anyone else who stumbles on this thread, instead of using the Alarm Decoder serial bridge, I installed the Alarm Decoder IP bridge, enabled the socket client host from the AD Windows keypad app (checkbox under configuration --> serial & socket) and connected the AD IP bridge to the AD Windows keypad app socket host as a client (this requires leaving the AD Windows keypad app open on the laptop running OH at all times but this does not seem to cause a problem). So essentially instead of a wired serial connection between the AD2USB and OH, the communication is now between the AD2USB <–> AD Windows keypad app <–> AD keypad app socket host/client <–> OH (via IP bridge). A little roundabout but I am really impressed with how quickly the system responds, it is as if it were hardwired. Now i just have to see how durable leaving the AD Windows keypad app running indefinitely is.

In general I would recommend running the most recent version of the binding (2.5.9), since a couple of important fixes have gone in since 2.5.5. I don’t think it will help with this particular problem, though.

What messages do you see in the logs when you try to use the serial bridge? The OH2 version of the binding relies on the serial library included in openHAB for serial communications. Maybe there is some underlying configuration problem or bug that is causing the trouble.

Thanks for the response Bob- I had some time today and updated my OH version to 2.5.9, sadly still having the same issue. I will have to explore the OH serial library I guess, though I am not very well versed in such things. I’m also e-mailing AD about it and they’re doing their best to help. Here’s what my log shows when attempting to use the serial binding- you can see that very briefly it’s status is “ONLINE”, switching to “COMMUNICATION_ERROR: underlying input stream returned zero bytes”:

20:09:33.799 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'alarmdecoder:serialbridge:ad162bfc' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING

20:09:33.871 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘alarmdecoder:serialbridge:ad162bfc’ changed from INITIALIZING to ONLINE

20:09:34.014 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ThingUpdatedEvent ] - Thing ‘alarmdecoder:serialbridge:ad162bfc’ has been updated.

20:09:34.176 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘alarmdecoder:serialbridge:ad162bfc’ changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Underlying input stream returned zero bytes