Adding Aeotec Siren6

Out of curiosity I searched for the error message I got about invalid device class in the source and found that in the ZWaveDeviceClass, there is no definition for SPECIFIC_TYPE_SOUND_SWITCH under GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT.

There is only (ZWaveDeviceClass.java:271-273):

SPECIFIC_TYPE_DOORBELL(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT, 0x12),
    SPECIFIC_TYPE_SATELLITE_RECEIVER(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT, 0x04),
    SPECIFIC_TYPE_SATELLITE_RECEIVER_V2(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT, 0x11),

I’m guessing this mapping needs to be added before it will work at all. Not sure what else needs to be added besides an entry in this enum, but I might give it a try if I can figure out how to build and install a custom version of the Z-Wave add-on for now.

From HABmin, please try this & post a screenshot like my example below.

Configuration -> Things -> [Your Siren] -> Attributes (all the way at the bottom of the page)

This is what I had, though I have since excluded the device from the controller as it fills up the logs constantly with the error messages:

The manufacturer number is the same as the Aeotec TriSensor’s attribute page (which also says, “Unknown Manufacturer”). But that was identified with the right product name.

Thanks again for all your help, Bruce!

I am still looking into building and using the Z-Wave binding from source so that I can experiment with adding the device classes to the allowable device classes enums (managed to build it, but am having trouble getting all the dependencies loaded when putting it into the /usr/share/openhab2/addons directory).

I need to look into this further. I know Aeotec has several Manufacturer IDs.

OK, that is a ZW164 and it is not in our database. Our newer database versions recognize that manufacturer ID.
If you have an xml file that may help us further. I will start building our the device as I find time.
A pdf copy of the user manual may be useful too.

Thanks Bruce, the detailed manual for the ZW164 is available here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6086177008

Unfortunately, an XML file for the device doesn’t get generated though :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m wondering if it’s because the data coming back from the device about its available device classes is being rejected by the Z-Wave binding (the “invalid device class” error I constantly get when the device is included).

The device class identifiers listed on page 16 of the PDF manual are not in the list of device classes in the Z-Wave binding code, and I think this is why it’s not accepting the device (specifically this file: https://github.com/openhab/org.openhab.binding.zwave/blob/2.4.0/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/zwave/internal/protocol/ZWaveDeviceClass.java).

Well I downloaded the manual and there is a lot of work to get all the configuration & other parameters entered. I have already started on it though.\I was hoping an xml file would help.

@chris or @sihui would updating from 2.4 to a snapshot binding perhaps help us get an xml file for this?

It looks like the device is using a new device class that needs to be added to the binding before the device can work. I will look into this tonight if jetlag doesn’t get the better of me!

Try to look here too. There appears to be no Endpoint 0 in the docs :frowning:
Manual is uploaded & looks informative though.
I used the classes from Habmin screenshot.
https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/1089

There is always a root endpoint in every device.

Are you trying to create the database entry by hand? If so, I would really not recommend this and we should delete the endpoints that you’ve added. Generating this by hand will be very error prone - it is highly recommended to create the endpoints directly from the XML.

If you wanted to add the config parameters and associations, that’s fine, but leave the endpoints until the XML is available.

OK. I was going through the manual.
Would moving to a snapshot binding affect creating the xml file? It looks like 2.4 does not recognize the manufacturer ID.
The first 22 configuration parameters will be a real challenge to figure out how to present well.

I made this change locally in my openhab Z-Wave binding instance:

$ git diff
diff --git a/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/zwave/internal/protocol/ZWaveDeviceClass.java b/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/zwave/internal/protocol/ZWaveDeviceClass.java
index 94dfbcca..0ff5d459 100644
--- a/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/zwave/internal/protocol/ZWaveDeviceClass.java
+++ b/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/zwave/internal/protocol/ZWaveDeviceClass.java
@@ -268,6 +268,7 @@ public class ZWaveDeviceClass {

public enum Specific {
         SPECIFIC_TYPE_NOT_USED(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_NOT_USED, 0x00),
+        SPECIFIC_TYPE_SOUND_SWITCH(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT, 0x01),
         SPECIFIC_TYPE_DOORBELL(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT, 0x12),
         SPECIFIC_TYPE_SATELLITE_RECEIVER(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT, 0x04),
         SPECIFIC_TYPE_SATELLITE_RECEIVER_V2(Generic.GENERIC_TYPE_AV_CONTROL_POINT, 0x11),

And now I have this XML file: network_c9b5af4d__node_7.xml (42.5 KB)

Does this one look better?

The XML file will not be created until I add the new device class - as mentioned in my previous message.

The binding doesn’t know anything about manufacturer IDs - it only uses the database to detect the device type.

@chris
That xml file looks pretty good but group max nodes say 0 instead of 5.

Ah, thanks Bruce, thought it was worth a shot. I’ll wait to see what Chris says before trying anything else!

The XML looks fine.

I’ve deleted the endpoints now so you should be good to go. You must upload the XML to the same database entry that you’ve created. If there’s any issues I’ll take a look later - I have to go out shortly to meet up with work colleagues.

I will not be able to upload it tonight. Try to enjoy your meetup.

Thank you both Bruce and Chris! I appreciate all the quick and helpful responses, even after getting back from your trip, Chris.

Have a good evening both of you!

1 Like

Chris is from the UK but is now very jet-lagged in Utah on a business trip. Very dedicated for sure!

2 Likes

@chris It looks like we have a new specific type that needs to be added.