Adding Aeotec Siren6

Hi
I am trying to use the ZW164 in 2.5 M5 but I am not getting any events when I push the door button. The thing is found and looks ok in paper UI where I added items for all channels.
Is this because the require command class is missing or is this a problem with my installation ?

I would guess so. The last I heard @chris was still working through several months of backlog due to issues with the new development environment.

@Kennet are you able to use the ZW164 as a siren or chime from other events in OpenHAB other than using the included door bell button itself?

I hadn’t tried adding this to my system again yet as I thought the whole thing was unusable until the new command class was added, so I didn’t even realize it could be included and show up properly now in the latest version of the binding. (I only have the siren version without the door bell button).

I always found this device a bit of pain to test with because once you include it, if you ever move it it triggers the tamper alert sound!

Here is the GitHub issue for the added command class.

I have not tried to use it for anything else. I primarily bought this so that I would get an event when somebody was at the door but this is not working. Also I had to use HomeSeer just to set the ring volume down so that I at least could use it as a regular doorbell. Now I do not dare to change anything because my hoomseer license has expired.
Bottom line is I would not recommend this device to anybody. Did you get anything working with the device?

I just included the device into my network again and it shows up properly as the ZW164 now, but I’m not yet sure how to use it. The most I did was enable a configuration setting that lets me silence any alarm by pressing the button on the siren (this makes the device easier to physically handle now as I can silence it if I accidentally move it and the tamper alarm goes off).

This is my first Z-Wave device that would “receive” some kind of instruction - the other devices in my network only report values (door, motion, temperature sensors, etc.).

I’m guessing I need to figure out how to use the association groups so I can send it “commands”. I’ll have to read a bit more about this and see how this works in OpenHAB. This assumption is based on the naming of some of the association groups I see in HABmin.

You mentioned that you were able to change the volume in HomeSeer? How did things work for this device in HomeSeer? I don’t see any configuration parameter for volume, and maybe it has to do with the missing sound switch command class?

Reading the ZW164 manual a bit more, if I understand correctly, it seems to me that to directly control the device, playing sounds, it requires the sound switch command class to be implemented. I’m still trying to understand all the Z-Wave terminology and functions.

There is a note in the manual about using devices that only support the lifeline group (?) to get it to receive certain fixed “Notification Reports” from other Z-Wave devices, and based on a select set of those notification reports it can play certain sounds. More specifically, these seem to be the most common types things that you would have wanted to trigger some sort of sound (e.g. smoke/CO/gas detector being tripped, door/window being opened, water leak detected, etc.). I’ll have to take a closer look at this as I’m not sure if it still needs the sound switch command class to be implemented.

@chris is there any chance of getting COMMAND_CLASS_SOUND_SWITCH added to the binding before 2.5rc1 is released?
Otherwise it will not make it into 2.5 stable.

No - this is not possible. I’ve only done a little work on this so far, and given that we are not now meant to make major changes to bindings in the runup to the release, it’s already a few weeks too late for this.

1 Like

It is a long time since I did the configuration in HoomSeer and I do not remember the details. Because the license has expired, I cannot check, so sorry I cannot answer how it worked. I do remember that is was a bit strange to work with.

I managed to get the Siren6 to chime when one of my door sensors opens. However, it is through the group associations and not through OpenHAB rules.

If you have a device that can send the “basic set” command through an association, you can link that group to the Siren6 node and when the sensor sends the “basic set” command to the Siren6 node, the Siren6 will play a chime. The sound it plays in my case is #6 from the list here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000223793-siren-6-sound-previews-

Presumably that the sound it plays might be configurable somehow, but I’m not sure off hand if that part requires the new command class or if it can be done through sending data to association groups (since according to the manual, it sounds like certain association groups “mirror” the end point - I’m not sure if that means the association group gets triggered when an end point is triggered, or if sending data to an association group is like sending data to the end point?).

The configuration looks like this in my test setup with a HomeSeer door sensor as the trigger and Node 8 being the Siren6:

Hi,

Is there any update on adding the COMMAND_CLASS_SOUND_SWITCH to the binding?
If not, Are there alternative way to trigger the sound?

Thanks,
Yehuda

What version are you running? As far as I know the current 2.5.x version should work.

I am running version 2.5.2

Try deleting the Thing (NOT exclude) and re discover it. It will get the same thing id but the new binding features.

@Bruce_Osborne, I tried deleting and adding it again but it looks the same to me (also just upgraded to 2.5.2).

I thought we were still waiting for the sound switch command class support to be added before we could use this device as a siren? I haven’t seen any updated information about this recently either, other than some doorbell-related functionality when I look at the github history (I don’t see any new comments related to adding the new command class beyond the ones in January).

I thought that issue had been closed, but I was wrong. You can subscribe to track it here.

1 Like

hi. has there been any updates in regards to the COMMAND_CLASS_SOUND_SWITCH being implemented in OpenHab 3?