Adding Item to a Group removes it from Equipment Group

I have a number of Homematic radiator thermostats in the house. I have created an equipment item for each one, and added points for Actual Temperature, Current Mode (auto/manual), Set Temperature, etc. In the semantic model each radiator showed up in the room it was located in, with the point items listed under the equipment item - just like it should.

2 days ago I added the Set Temperature items to a group item (gRadiators) to enable a rule. With one of the points - BathroomRadiator_SetTemperature, when I added it to the group, it became a point of the gRadiators group and was removed as a point of the equipment group BathroomRadiator. As a consequence it doesn’t show up in the UI in the Bathroom, it doesn’t appear in the semantic model under the Bathroom Radiator equipment group.

I checked, rechecked, and re-rechecked the settings of the item, all are exactly the same as the other radiator set point items that behave as expected, i.e. is a point of Bedroom Radiator equipment, and a member of gRadiators.

Anyone have an idea why adding an item to a group would change its semantic model equipment membership?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Gigabyte Brix MiniPC model GB-BXI7-5775R/MBHM87P-00 BIOS F2. 8GB RAM, 228GB HDD.
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk 11.0.8 2020-07-14 LTS
    • openHAB version: 3.3 Stable

Well, it seems writing this out and making it public has opened my eyes. The problem was in the group item gRadiators. When I created it I gave it the semantic class “RadiatorControl.” When I changed it to none, everything behaved as it should. The Bathroom Radiator Set Point is once again a point of the bathroom radiator equipment group.

Moral of the story, be careful how I create groups.

Just to pinpoint the root problem, any Equipment or Point Item can only be in one Location at a time. And Point Item can only be in one Equipment at a time.

When you had the “RadiatorControl” on your gRadiators Group, the Items were in two Equipment at the same time.