Adding Leviton Zigbee Dimmer

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: X86_64
    • Java Runtime Environment: OpenJDK 11
    • openHAB version: 3.1 stable
    • Zigbee stick: HUSBZB-1 with flashed firmware
  • Issue of the topic:
    I’m trying to add my first Leviton Zigbee Dimmer.

After adding the Dimmer, When I look at the Chanels, there are 2

They look to be identical. I Link each to their own newly created item.
The first item appears to control the dimmer normally.
The second item does not appear to do anything

What is this second Chanel?

• Please post configurations (if applicable)
    UID: zigbee:device:f******
    label: Kitchen Lights
    thingTypeUID: zigbee:device
    configuration:
    zigbee_macaddress: *****
    bridgeUID: zigbee:coordinator_ember:f1ef3f70e3

• Items configuration related to the issue

I’m just guessing here, but possibly one channel is the switch itself, and the second could be if you wanted to use the switch to control something else (ie one might be a client, and one might be a server).

Can you post the XML file for this device (it’s in the userdata/zigbee/abc folder - where abc is the name of the coordinator).

Note that you don’t need to hide the IEEE / MAC address of your devices - this can’t be used by anyone to do anything.

0022A3000034CEEC.xml (98.1 KB)
Thar b a whole passle o’data thar!

So it seems endpoint 3 is a server, so could be used to send commands to control other devices.

The device also supports some manufacturer specific functions which are not standard by the looks of it.

Also, I will see if I can find a way to better present this so there’s at least some differentiation in the channels.

The Device itself is a Dimmer with 2 rockers. A big one that toggles between min and max, and a skinny one to it’s right that dims. You program min on the device in programing mode. Then max is set by the last skinny level

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/dg6hd-1bw

when you want a conventional 3 or 4 way, you use one dimmer and the others are “companions”
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/dd00r-dlz

Leviton does not sell a Gateway or provide an App for their zigbee products

I have zigbee dimmers, switches and dimmer companions.

@chris
Can you expand on

1. endpoint 3 is a server, so could be used to send commands to control other devices
  2. The device also supports some manufacturer specific functions which are not standard by the looks of it

I think I probably was slightly wrong here - endpoint 3 will be a client (not server) so can be used to send commands and control other devices. This generally means there is no relay associated with this, but you could (for example) use it to control another switch on the other side of the room.

This means that the device has some functionality that is non standard - I’ve no idea what it does and only the manufacturer will know unless they have published information about their extension.

I reached out to Leviton Tech Support. After being “referred to level 2”, I received their response

Thanks for contacting Leviton Technical Services.

The DG6HD is Zigbee 3.0 certified and uses the standard Zigbee 3.0 specification. There is on[sic] separate document or API.

Best regards,
Scott

Devices can be Z3 certified and still have manufacturer specific clusters - the two are not exclusive and this device reports that it supports cluster 8007, which does not seem to be a Zigbee 3.0 standard cluster. Additionally, endpoint 2 uses profile 50376, which is NOT zigbee 3.0 (zigbee 3.0 is profile 260, or 0x104).

Anyway, what is the problem you are having? You asked -:

And I’ve answered this. Is there something not working still?

I’m sharing what info i’m getting.
My “problem” is I’m struggling to fully understand what my system is about and you have been very helpful. For that I’m grateful.
Sorry If I have annoyed you

You’ve not annoyed me at all, but I’m trying to understand how I can help.

You posted some text from the manufacturer without any explanation and I assumed therefore that you had a problem and their statement contradicted what I’d said about the manufacturer specific functionality.

I would say that the manufacturer response was curt and effectively useless.

I was expecting more from Leviton.

I appreciate that you willing share your expertise.

In my previous house I used Lutron Caseta dimmers.
Expensive
Proprietary
Artificially constrained by marketing imperatives
Works really well and the Lutron Binding is quite good!

I was expecting the Leviton Zigbee products to work just as well without the Lutron cons.

Leviton also sells Z-Wave, Bluetooth, and Wifi. Would you (@chris ) have gone with Z-Wave? Lutron?
Your protocol expert opinion carries weight!

I did have to get ONE Leviton Z-Wave Dimmer, needed one RIGHT NOW and it was the only one in stock at my local Home Depot. I have not messed around much with it but my initial impressions are it’s less wonky but just as opaque.

Sadly not uncommon. I don’t know if Leviton design their own devices and write their own firmware, and therefore if they know what the device really does. Again though, if the device is a dimmer switch, and it supports the standard Zigbee clusters (As it does) then the binding should detect this and work just fine (as I think it is). You can ignore the manufacturer specific functions - we don’t know what they are, and it seems the manufacturer doesn’t either :wink:

I am not familiar with Lutron so can’t comment on that. Between Zigbee and ZWave these days I would probably recommend Zigbee. In general, if you go with certified devices, I think that the protocol is better and more standard than ZWave. ZWave was good in the past, but I think problems have crept in as they’ve tried to expand the protocol when it wasn’t really properly designed for expansion / backward compatibility. I also think Zigbee probably has more longevity than ZWave in that Zigbee is more aligned with the new CHIP / Matter initiative, but who knows what the future will bring.

I’m still not completely sure though what your problem is (if any?). From the first post, it seems that one channel worked fine and controlled the dimmer, and the second didn’t work. This is normal - one is to controlling the inbuilt dimmer, and the other is to allow you to control other lights etc. I agree that the naming is/was confusion as both were named the same, but I have now changed this to hopefully make it more clear when it detects both a client and server.