Addons.cfg file and log file errors Question

So, where is your binding? According to what you are showing us you don’t have any mqtt binding installed :rofl:
You need to list the bundles exactly via bundle:list | grep -i mqtt

I just gave up, formatted the SD and started over.

When starting with openHAB almost four years ago I did the same: tinkering around, making some mistakes, learning, then starting over. Everything working fine since then. Good luck.

One more hint: make sure you are making the right decisions regarding MQTT before a new install:
Either use the new MQTT2 binding with the embedded broker (no mqtt.cfg needed!) or use the legacy, outdated, but still working MQTT1 binding.
I would recommend to use the MQTT2 binding.

I didn’t install anything version 1 until I looked at MQTT Persistence in the old directories. I think it is version 1.X.X . I copied all 3 folders over to another drive before I formatted the SD card for the 100th time. That way I can just install MQTT 2.4.x and still have my sitemaps, items, icons, things and transform files I had already created. Now I just have to go back and connect to the new binding.

The main problem I had was using Google to find answers to some of the problems I was having. I think it was because even after reading the manual, it didn’t sink in what I needed to put in the items file as that didn’t fully show the links to the bindings specifically. I found sometimes it pointed me to older documentation and that is how I “fixed” some of my problems. That along with not having any programming experience in these new languages. I found a couple of times, the RPi would show up at a different IP address after a power bump or a reboot. I found out how to make it static and that worked. So now I just need to “reconnect” all the broken links using MQTT 2.4 and see what happens.

Thanks for helping me try to get this fixed.

John Frankforther

@sihui

I have reloaded OH2 and loaded MQTT from the config menus and went back and ran the
bundle:list | grep -i mqtt command and this is what it shows.

openhab> bundle:list | grep -i mqtt
198 x Active   x  80 x 1.2.0                  x Paho MQTT Client
200 x Active   x  80 x 0.10.0.oh240           x Eclipse SmartHome MQTT Binding
201 x Active   x  80 x 0.10.0.oh240           x Eclipse SmartHome MQTT Thing Binding
202 x Active   x  80 x 0.10.0.oh240           x Eclipse SmartHome MQTT Transport Bundle

It doesn’t look like I’m on the same rev of MQTT as you have shown above. Is there something more I need to update? I went through and updated what I thought was everything.

Sorry to be a bother, I just want to figure out how to set up my first sensor correctly.

Thank you

John Frankfther

No, because I am on the 2.5 snapshot.
I think you are on the right track now :+1:
Now don’t follow outdated tutorials, MQTT2 is pretty new, only read the newer posts (starting with the relase of 2.4 stable).
Best thing to do is following the official docs.