Advantages of Amanda over Disk Mirroring

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 2GB
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu… latest version as per autoinstall
    • openHAB version: 3.0.1

TLDR is… what Amanda offers that Mirroring doesn’t - apart from (maybe?) capacity to store on a server or device on my network and perhaps more complex scheduling.

First post and very early in my journey… new to Linux and Openhab. But I have an operating system with control of some devices in my house :grinning: with big thanks to all who worked on the excellent documentation and Openhabain image.

In openHABian Configuration Tool, I’ve had some difficulty with menu item 54 | Raw copy SD but managed to get one functional copy of my SD. menu item 53 | Setup SD mirroring seems to be working OK.

I need to work out how I can reboot the pi with a card in the exernal card reader (and boot from the internal SD card)… I’m confident that I can find this out with even more reading on here and learning a bit more basic linux.

Before I do that though, I’m considering setting up Amanda (looks a bit daunting as a beginner). Before I do though, and desite reading various posts here and the official documentation - I’m seeing advice as to what Amanda offers that Mirroring doesn’t - apart from capacity to store on a server or device on my network and perhaps more complex scheduling.

Amanda is a classic Backup system. You can selectively restore any single file from any date of the past 2 weeks.

1 Like

Much appreciated mstormi

I’ll probably run it in the future… still a lot of learning to do getting the basics right and Mirroring will hopefully keep me safe for now.

openHABian is designed to run off an SD Card on a Raspberry Pi. By default, it oes not have the hardware for disk mirroring.

Also, as stated, Amanda is designed for having backup files stored elsewhere. Disk Mirroring is for disk hardware redundancy, not backup. They are two very different concepts.

1 Like