Advice on a Z-Wave Smoke Detector

So there is no way of using the nest devices without their (google) cloud?

They would be great Sensors if we could just use them like the amazon dash buttons without even using amazon services.

Sorry - Iā€™ve not personally investigated using Nest sensors either via local LAN or without their cloud services.

A quick search suggests Internet access and the app is needed for setup, but not usage:

Iā€™d be surprised if the sorts of DNS/ network redirection hacks used with Amazon Dash buttons work with Nest kit given the depth of security engineering expertise in the wider Alphabet (Google) group of companies.

The docs suggest Nest might allow some direct access via Thread / Weave (links above), so it might be possible to write a dedicated binding for local LAN notifications from the sensors via IPv6.

Thanks for your help.
I will check out the link above.

Cheers

For what itā€™s worth, it appears that first alert may be planning to release a mains-powered hardwire/interconnected version of their zwave smoke detector in May of 2021. https://community.smartthings.com/t/brk-first-alert-hard-wired-z-wave-smoke-detectors-coming-summer-2021-hopefully/200984

You need battery powered to not be dependent on mains power for such critical alerts.

Posting to a 2 year old thread is considered poor etiquette here. A new thread woul get more attention.

All the hard-wired smoke alarms Iā€™ve used have battery backup. With the proper wiring they will all go on as soon as one detects smoke, so I think they are substantially better than battery only alarms. Iā€™d be happy if they actually make this device and it is good: adding Z-Wave to get remote notification and do things like turn on lights would be very nice. Hopefully it notifies of the battery level so it can be replaced before the detector starts chirpingā€¦

what aboout wifi based smoke detectors? Because Zwave doesenĀ“t provide so many options, IĀ“m now thinking about detectors like this thing here for gas.

Here are a few more

Basically you can flash it with Tuya-convert and upload Tasmota to use it locally and get all required stats via mqtt in OH. I already use a a lot of switches,sprinklers, shutters and plugs that way.
They are cheaper and working localliy and can be updated, on some you can even add more sensors to it by just welding them to the pins.
Has anyone tried that way and give some feedback about battery livetime? All my current ones are wired up and I dont want to replace the batteries every few days.

Smoke detectors, above anything else need to be reliable. 2.4GHz Wi-Fi is far from reliable due to interference from many other devices, including common microwave ovens.

For the most part I agree. However, these still work as stand alone alarms. They still generate a blaring sound when smoke is detected loud enough to wake you up. So for the most part, even if they get jammed for some reason, at worst these are no better, but also no worse, than any regular old dumb detector. So is this really a reason to reject them? Maybe, but not always and in all circumstances. Though if the ability for them to report is a concern, they should be hard wired together in the first place and not using any wireless technology.

@jamsven, before choosing any detector like this, just make sure it has all the right certifications to make it a legal detector in your jurisdiction. Not all those sold on Ali Express etc. have the right certifications to be legal in all jurisdictions.

2 Likes