AEON labs dimmer switch problem

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPi
    • openHAB version: 2.4

Hi. Have an Aeon labs micro Zwave dimmer switch. Was working fine via Alexa and just stopped, no configuration changes were made.

Log file indicates the below after Alexa receives my voice command. I should point out that I made 2 voice command attempts, hence 2 groups of the same log entries below.

2019-03-17 19:36:47.480 
[ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 
'Light_Switch' received command ON

2019-03-17 19:36:47.499 
[nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Light_Switch 
predicted to become NULL

2019-03-17 19:37:14.688 
[ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 
'Light_Switch' received command ON

2019-03-17 19:37:14.703 
[nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Light_Switch 
predicted to become NULL

Item definition

Switch Light_Switch "Wall Lights" (LightSwitch) 
    [”Lighting"]{channel="zwave:device:512:node7:switch_binary"}

Apologies if it doesn’t format above nicely (doing this from phone!)

Any ideas?

I’d check first that the device is still functioning on the zwave network, can you turn it off and on from Paper UI / Sitemap?

These come from the autoupdate feature, which listens for commands to an Item and makes a prediction about the likely effect. e.g. Command ON, likely result state ON etc.
It’s just a way of reducing waiting time for device updates, or even dealing with things that don’t update status at all.

Never seen it predict NULL before. But autoupdate is influenced by any bindings involved, which can override autoupdate’s guess.
I’d be confident there is something wrong with the zwave channel, and zwave binding is suggesting NULL

Nope, attempting to turn on via Control or PaperUI results in the same entries in the log file as previously posted

Think I might know what the issue is. How to resolve it, might be another matter.

It’s an Aeotec Zwave USB dongle that’s attached to the Pi. I set this up quite some time ago and, frankly, cannot recall exactly how I set this up. In any case, there are 2 Things showing up in PaperUI, namely, “Z-Wave Serial Controller” and “Zwave Plus USB Dongle” . Not sure why there’s 2 of these but they are both set to use /dev/ttyACM0. One is online, the other offline.

My Items file has the AEON dimmer pointing to the “offline” controller. I suppose I can just modify the items file to point to the “online” controller but I’d imagine I need to remove the offline device altogether. Anyone feel this would be incorrect? Open to suggestions.

Looks like I was right, conflicting controller Things. Deleted one of them and ensured .items file is pointing to correct controller. Thanks guys for kicking me in the ass, and making me think about it!

Yeah, a while back the zwave binding had a change that recognized the Aeotec a bit differently. Still hoping for the feature in openhab where it will alert you when a thing goes (and stays) offline.