After reboot, string values are empty

The menu Greg showed you? Probably one of the very latest versions (snapshot). I do not have it, too, and I am on Milestone M3. You need to create a file yourself like I described.

It is there in the M3 milestone as well.

Go into the settings menu, add-on settings, MapDB. At the top of the page there is a link to configure the persistence settings.

1 Like

It does not look like a link, just click on the blue headline „Persistence configuration“

Thanks! I did not realized that this was already possible although I always read release notes.
Thanks for pointing this out!

A bug for restoreOnStartup for RRD4 had been reported, hence the advise to use MapDB for that.

Persistence documentation would have given all the needed information, especially that RRD4 only persists numbers, but no strings.

Indeed. I have double checked all possible areas where I might be able to config persistency before I posted. And I have been visiting the page you mentioned and thought it was simply the title of that page😂

Undortunately, a little bit inconsistent as transformation got a seperate menu item for configuration. Anyway, another topic I can now move to GUI based configuration👍🏻

This bug in milestone 4 is already fixed and will be included in milestone 5 tomorrow.

1 Like

Woow, it seems, it works! Unbeliveable!

Here my settings:

You have to come up with that first! Thank you very much!

I persist everything because I have a lot of devices and if they are not persisted they come back as null and then I get strange things happening :grinning:

1 Like

I’m of the opinion that MapDB persistence should be an option in the setup screens, so that we introduce the concept of persistence to new users early on. As things are, many users only learn about MapDB after struggling with a string item that returns to a null state after a reboot. I can appreciate why it seems like a bug, since numbers persist with RRD4j and many other items refresh on startup.

We could also just add MapDB as a default, but what I really want users to learn is that they can choose whether or not OH will remember values. It would then be much easier to help them later on when they want to adjust their persistence strategies.

3 Likes

Building on that excellent idea; have mapdb as default strategy for restoreOnStartup (since it can handle all items with no exceptions) and take the restoreOnstartup strategy off rrd4j as redundant (and not comprehensive). (Recognize the issue with rrd4j in the latest milestone is fixed.)

1 Like

I agree

I like this idea. I like any idea that makes the ‘openHAB’ concept more intuitive.

1 Like

@voda : please change your subject to a meaningful title.
You have specific issues and every reader should be able to see that without opening the thread.
Many people here are helping you so please do your part too.

1 Like

Yes that is how I have it.
I restore on start up with mapdb only but I persist with rrd4j so I have the graphs otherwise you get nothing.

Done. Unfortunately, some topics are mixed, but I think, the main topic is clear.

I’ve set it up the same way now.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.