After Update: Raspberry Pi4 eth0 adapter is down

Could someone guide me through a quick check please?

Running openHABian and after the latest update my Raspberry is not booting anymore.
SD card is ok because I can access boot partition and rootfs with “Linux Reader” on my Windows machine.
Hardware is ok because another SD card with an older clone image boots without problems.
I assume that a boot file or firmware file is corrupt but I do not have further knowledge with Linux to continue finding the error.

Any help is much appreciated.

That does not mean it is partitioned properly for booting off it.

Are you saying that the openHABian update procedure could possibly change partitions?

I am saying accessing the partitions with Linux Reader does not prove the SD Card has all the proper partitioning flags & files needed to boot off it…

It is even possible accessing the card with Linux Reader could corrupt the image. I do not really know for sure.

1 Like

Are there any simple repair tools available for this kind of problem you could recommend?

Good backups!

1 Like

No it doesn’t.

No they do not exist. Unless you have a backup.

2 Likes

As mentioned by others here, a backup (and from time to time a restore to ensure the backup is usable) is the best insurance in case something goes wrong.

If you had access to a Linux box you could extract important files from the SD card, download and install a new image and place the rescued files onto the newly build SD card.

I attached a monitor to my raspberry to see at least some results during bootup (using RPi headlessly).
Booting seems to be ok but the last error message is

failed to start FUSE filesystem for LXC

However bootup sequence ends with “openhab login:” prompt

On the other hand, I cannot connect via Putty from my Windows PC to Raspberry Pi.

Please, refrain from useless comments like some of the above. Yes, I do not have a good understanding of Linux.
Yes, I have a backup which is 1 month old but I try to avoid redoing all the changes since then.

If you do not appreciate helpful suggestions, fix it yourself then!

This expert is out of here!

1 Like

Yeah, this is what I meant. I do appreciate helpful suggestions and yours is one of those comments which are not helpful at all.
So no problem if you do not want to answer.

To be honest unfortunately this is what I see very often when new or unexperienced users need help:
the first answers

• tend to be sarcastic or
  • want to demonstrate what deep knowledge the expert has without really helping the user.

Oliver,

you expect others to suggest “helpful” information. What you deem “helpful” is highly depending on your expectation level and your own level of skills and knowledge. The level of information you gave us in your first post was vague. You could have helped us helping you in following the guideline

Help us help you.

Some answers, my own inculded, would have been different, had this information been given in your initial post.
However, your backup strategy obviously does not match your own expectation. Guess you will change that in the future.

I’m not an expert in booting Linux, although my PC uses Linux. But I know that the message

indicates an error with filesystem handling. To find the root cause an examination of the boot log messages is needed. And to fix it you need write access to the system, either by entering commands on the shell (you need monitor and keyboard attached to the RasPi for that) or by editing files on the SD card in another system. Which should not be a Windows system (don’t know whether there are even tools/drivers that can write to Linux file systems from Windows).

It is your decision if you want to follow the route down to accept suggestions from others and learn something or if you rather take the route to use your backup with adding your changes on top of that or even a newly built SD card.

This one I want to comment finally:

@Bruce_Osborne is one of the most active community members, helping a lot of others here since he became a member. Treating him like that might easily have the effect of others joining him in leaving you alone with your issues.

2 Likes

I changed the title because the problem that Fuse was not able to load within lxc was not the actual problem.
After investigating further I found out that the openHAB update process (which you can start from openhabian-config) CHANGED my NETWORK CONFIGURATION

In detail, it changed the eth0 section in the file

/etc/network/interfaces

from

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

to

iface eth0 inet manual

“auto eth0” was completely deleted.

Not sure why this happened, but in case somebody else has to face this issue I am posting this so that he does not need to go through all the steps you can see above :wink:

However, if somebody gets the error message regarding Fuse failed to start in lxc, just do a firmware upgrade and the error message is gone.

1 Like

No it doesn’t do that.
Eventually some package you installed did and this was executed as part of the upgrade, but it’s just a simple apt-get upgrade.

1 Like

Openhab does not manipulate these files.