AlarmClock Item from openHAB Android App

hi!
I’m trying to set up the alarm clock item from the openHAB Android App on my phone. As soon as i set my alarm clock the Number Item:

Number      OnePlus7_AlarmClock

gets set. For tomorrow morning for example OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state is 1605072300000.
To use this proberly I want to convert this to a DateTime Type Object “OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time”. I read this: DateTime Conversion
but none of the solutions worked for me.
My alarmclock.rules looks like this at the moment:

rule "AlarmClock: Change Epoch to DateTime"
when
	Item OnePlus7_AlarmClock changed
then
    logInfo("OnePlus7_AlarmClock changed to","Millis: "+ (OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state as Number))
    val DateTimeType OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time = new DateTimeType(new DateTime(OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state))
end

…which leads to the error:

Rule 'AlarmClock: Change Epoch to DateTime': Could not cast 1605072600000 to java.lang.String; line 6, column 79, length 35

I also tried:

val DateTimeType OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time = new DateTimeType(new DateTime(OnePlus7_AlarmClock).toString)

…like suggested in #2 in the Tutorial i linked, but this gives me:

Rule 'AlarmClock: Change Epoch to DateTime': No instant converter found for type: org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.items.NumberItem

Can somebody help me with this?

best regards,
RockNLol

I guess this is not the complete rule?

There are some issues with the rule.
First: There is a chance that OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state is not of type Number, so the logInfo would fail with a NullPointerException. An easy way to avoit that would be to stop the rule if the state is not of type Number.
Second: all loggers need two strings as arguments, but the first string is the logger name, not part of the logger message.
Third: as all parts have to be String, a + (Item.state as Number) is not appropriate. The easiest way to printout a value, is to use string substitution.
Fourth: DateTimeType needs a string as parameter, and DateTime(OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state) is not a string.

when
then
    if(!(OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state instanceof Number))
        return;
    logInfo("alarmclock","OnePlus7_AlarmClock changed to Millis: {}", OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state)
    val DateTimeType OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time = new DateTimeType(new DateTime(OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state).toString)
end

However, the rule will do nothing :slight_smile: as OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time is not used and is destroyed right after it’s created.

It seems my topic isn’t in the beginners section for nothing :sweat_smile: This is my whole rule…

1. It is also not of type Number, if simply there is no alarm clock set. So I need to catch this case somehow.

2. the logger is only now for debugging, so i could see the data and guess the type. I’ll delete it, as soon as it is working.

3. see 2

4. I’ll try that - EDIT: This leads to following Error:

[ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'AlarmClock: Change Epoch to DateTime': No instant converter found for type: org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.types.DecimalType

…at which point is this a DecimalType even?

how do I apply OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time to the actual Item OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time?

Thank you very much for your reply!

*EDIT: My latest rule version, which is still not working:

when
then
    if(!(OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state instanceof Number))
        return;
    logInfo("alarmclock","OnePlus7_AlarmClock changed to Millis: {}", OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state)
    val DateTimeType alarmclocktime = new DateTimeType(new DateTime((OnePlus7_AlarmClock.state).toString))
    OnePlus7_AlarmClock_time.postUpdate(alarmclocktime)
end