AlarmDecoder Help (AD2PI)

I initially thought of wired sensors for the system, and almost did. The thing about wireless is you can take it with you when you move to a diff house.

The wires, of course not. But everything else you can, My big sister bought a house and they took everything that wasn’t structural so to speak. Seriously, towel racks, toilet paper dispensers… Everything. True story.

Hi guys,

I see you discuss AlarmDecoder here and I have a question - I bought Alarm Panel Focus FC-7640 - 8 wired and 32 wireless zone + GSM SIM and TCP/IP connectivity - they say it’s Ademco protocol based. Can this binding for AlarmDecoder can be used or no worth wasting time. I did some tries, but maybe don’t create the Thing properly and also missing how to configure it in alarmdecoder config file.

Telnet connection on port 80 is not giving any feedback - just connects and stays black window.
Any advises are appreciated.
Apologizes that I’ve jumped your your conversation.

Sorry for the extremely late reply lol but you can check if your panel is supported from http://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Panels

Lucky -
This is great stuff you are sharing. I am quite excited to have OH and the my trusty crusty Vista-20 connected. I’m very happy to use the alarm and also determine presence for now. I had posted earlier that I was having an issue but edited the post because the issue was mearly a typo. Stopped for a while and listened to some nice Blues music and it was easy to sport.
Later maybe if we both leave the the alarm becomes the slave to the presence detection. If anyone has experience with this I’m all ears :grinning: :smiley: :smile:

The v2 version of this binding (if it ever gets accepted) has a “sendStar” setting which sends the “*” character to the panel after it is disarmed. In the v1 binding you would have to set up a rule to do this.

After the “*” character is sent to the Vista, it will begin to update the zone field as you trip the zones. When zone is updated the Ready status is cleared. So something like

rule “presence”
when
Item StatusReady changed to 0
then
switch (Zone.state)
{
case 7:
{
do stuff for zone 7
}

etc…

1 Like

Billfor

Good to hear there is a version 2. I’m having fun with what I’ve got and trying to learn to write rules. I would be interested to know if the version 2 is available to try. Some of my other projects are coming along and may try to keep going at least a little bit through the summer months

Sure, you should be able to download it. I’ve been using it for the last month or so without any issues.

So I had this working with my old 2.5 install and version 1 of the binding but for the life of me I cannot get it to work with openhab3 and the latest binding. Is ser2sock still needed/required ?.
In fronttail I am not seeing any messages being parsed. If i arm and disarm through the keypad I am seeing log events but none while using habpanel. Can someone please post an items/things or atleast point me in the right direction.

You need to connect the bridge via tty or a port, and if using a port then you still need ser2sock or ser2net. Attached is the thing and items for my vista20-se, with the old v1.x binding format commented out so you can see the difference. There is also doc on the addon page.

alarmdecoder.things.txt (228 Bytes) alarmdecoder.items.txt (3.5 KB)

Thanks for the info.My bridge is attached to /dev/ttyUSB0 so I guess I still need ser2sock.Actually what do you mean by port? I will look over your files to see if there are any clues to solving this.

I do presume my bridge is working since I am getting rfzones flooding my inbox. I have since turned off discovery. I am also getting log line when I arm/disarm open/close zones from my keypad.

Ok finally got it working. I struggled getting the KeypadCommand string working. Once I got that figured out all started to work as expected.

A big Thank you to Billfor for the pointer!!!

Please reveal precisely how you got the keypad command to work. I am having no success with this.
Thanks!

Hi actually my server crashed and I took that opportunity to try out Home Assistant. So almost 2 years now I haven’t looked back….but all not lost …yet…Ill take a look to see if I can if I still have my openhab back up available to have a look.

You can send keypad commands via the channel ‘command’ (send as a string). If you are disarming the system using this, I recommend adding an expire to the channel so that it masks the code you just sent. I’ve provided a sample of the item (*.items) below. I hope this helps.

String	AD_Keypad_Command	"Keypress"	{channel="alarmdecoder:keypad:adp1:6160:command", expire="1s,state=****"}

Thank you both sabre666 and Private for your response.

I am using openHAB 3.4 at present, in a FreeBSD jail, configuring via the GUI. I also posted a question under " Alarm Decoder keypad item, how to send command? "

The section from org.openhab.core.items.Item.json reads as follows:

"AlarmKeypadAlarmDecoder_KeypadCommand": {
    "class": "org.openhab.core.items.ManagedItemProvider$PersistedItem",
    "value": {
      "groupNames": [
        "AlarmKeypadAlarmDecoder"
      ],
      "itemType": "String",
      "tags": [
        "Point"
      ],
      "label": "Keypad Command",
      "category": "Command"
    }
  },

I am not sure how to translate between text configuration and GUI configuration, but over the next week or so I will experiment and post back what I tried and the results.

Or perhaps the Thing needs to be modified? From the file
org.openhab.core.thing.Thing.json

{
          "uid": "alarmdecoder:keypad:5dfe6e907c:554b2e0cc8:command",
          "id": "command",
          "channelTypeUID": "alarmdecoder:command-channel",
          "itemType": "String",
          "kind": "STATE",
          "label": "Keypad Command",
          "defaultTags": [],
          "properties": {},
          "configuration": {},
          "autoUpdatePolicy": "DEFAULT"
        },

I currently only configure ‘things’ and ‘items’ via a file (my preference), so I can’t comment on the UI. AD things define the bridge, keypad and zones via their address and channels. The command channel is only defined within items (file).

Not sure if this helped.
–M

Thank you for your help! You made me look at my setup again; I will write more later, but I now have a widget on a UI page that successfully sends the arm or disarm command to my AlarmDecoder. Short story, I had gotten hung up on the fact that I expected to be able to enter text when the UI showed the item in the model view, and it only shows NULL and is not editable. Did not need to change the thing or item or link, except I need to add YOUR code, to expire the command string, to the item.

As followup, under FreeBSD the configuration files are located at /var/db/openhab/userdata/jsondb. This directory holds the files generated by the UI configuration method. To expire an item, configuring the item using the UI, one must add metadata to the item, specifically, in the case of the AlarmDecoder binding, to the Alarm Keypad Alarm Deocder Keypad Command item (or whatever you have named it). Please see screenshot below, from the Model view:

Metadata is held in the file org.openhab.core.items.Metadata.json. The relevent section of the metadata file looks like this:

"expire:AlarmKeypadAlarmDecoder_KeypadCommand": {
    "class": "org.openhab.core.items.Metadata",
    "value": {
      "key": {
        "segments": [
          "expire",
          "AlarmKeypadAlarmDecoder_KeypadCommand"
        ],
        "uid": "expire:AlarmKeypadAlarmDecoder_KeypadCommand"
      },
      "value": "0h0m2s,NULL",
      "configuration": {}