Alexa - Assigning multiple friendly names possible?

Hello,

I would like to assign my rollershutter which I expose to alexa via the code below to react to different names. Currently it only works to say “Esszimmer Rollo” (e.g. Set Esszimmer Rollo to xx%) but i would like it to work also with “Rollo Esszimmer” and “Rollade Esszimmer” (e.g. Set Rollade Esszimmer to xx%).

How can I achieve that ?

My current rollershutter items:

Group gEsszimmer                   "Esszimmer Rollo"                {alexa="Endpoint.INTERIOR_BLIND"}

String gEsszimmerrollo_stop   "Stopp"       (gEsszimmer)  {alexa="ModeController.mode" [supportedModes="STOP=stopp,UP=0,DOWN=100,ZU=zu,AUF=auf,HÖHER=höher,TIEFER=tiefer", autoupdate="false"]}

Rollershutter gEsszimmerrollo  "DummyName Ess Rollo" (gEsszimmer)  {alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening",supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=+10,Raise=-10", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99", itemSensor="gEsszimmerrollo"], channel="homematic:HM-LC-XXXPBU-FM:ccu2bridge:OEQXXX4279:1#LEVEL"}

So for device friendly name, you can only have one per device.

As a workaround you could setup another group endpoint for the additional name associated to the same items but it would be modeled as a separate device on the Alexa side. So you will have two devices controlling the same functionalities.

Quick question on this one: Is this still the status quo (as in, in order to call devices by more than one name, one has to create a second group in OpenHAB with the other (desired) alternative name)?

It is since this is driven by the Alexa Smart Home API. However, one feature that was introduced recently at the skill level is the ability to use the name metadata parameter to name a given device on the Alexa side while staying decoupled from the item label on the OH side. It may not solve what you were looking for but I wanted to mention it.

2 Likes