Alexa Smart Home Skill V3 is now live!

It shouldn’t make a difference. The fact your devices aren’t showing offline means the communication to your OH server is working.

Could you please provide a detailed example including the exact utterance you used (Alexa, _____), the verbal response you got back and the time (with timezone) you issued the request?

Sure, right now (8/14/2019 at 15:14 EST) I tried “Alexa, turn the garage door on.”
The response seconds later was:
“hmm, the garage door is not responding.”

Do you see that command reaching your OH server in the events logs?

@digitaldan any chance you could pull the skill logs for that request?

Hey Jeremy, thanks for looking at this!

There are no entries in the events.log. I just tried a few and watched.

Hi Christoph,
I had the same issues with items with the tag autoupdate=“false” . Removing it fixed the problem for me.
Philipp

That’s what I was going to aim at if only specific items were affected. Unfortunately, with the new skill, an instant state update is necessary which makes metadata autoupdate=“false” basically not supported currently. If you need to use that parameter, an item sensor can be used to get the proper device state.

So according to the skill logs, I don’t see a proper discovery request/response processed by the skill. This is why your requests aren’t getting processed by the skill. Can you make sure to either click “Discover” at the bottom of your Alexa Smart Home Console devices page or just ask your favorite echo device: Alexa, discover

I’ve done that multiple times today. Just now I again asked her to discover devices, clicked on “discover” in the console, and clicked discover new devices in the iOS app. Nothing has changed. Earlier this morning I also restarted openhab and tried removing the skill and re-authorizing it. Nothing has been successful thus far.

@omatzyo what country/language is your Alexa setup for ?

USA and english.

Great, to help with debugging can you ask Alexa to discover devices and give me the exact time (seconds included) you ask? Helps when looking through the logs. Thanks.

Asked at Wed Aug 14 18:18:54 EDT 2019

Exactly the same for me… asked to discover many times, restarted openHAB, rebooted raspberry ,
tried removing the skill and re-authorizing it.
No way to get skill v3 working…
Language and county : Italian /Italy

Thanks. I see the issue. I just increased the logging. Can you please give it another try so I can see what is happening with your request?

Asked again Wed Aug 14 18:30:05 EDT 2019

I think i see the discovery request terminate with this message:
Task timed out after 10.01 seconds

I wonder how long it is taking for the item request to openhab to complete. @omatzyo how many items does your system have (generally) ? Less than 100? Or is it very large?

I have 2 systems at different houses… One has 121 devices, the other has 78. The larger one runs on a xeon server and has plenty of resources - that’s the one we’re looking at now. Both systems exhibit the same behavior.

EDIT: To be clear less than 100 of those are coming from the openhab skill… there are some wemos, hue lights, nest cams, etc on the network that also show up during discovery.

This is what I am seeing as well. It could be either one of these calls that is taking longer than expected. On a side note, we should probably enforce a shorter timeout window on these requests.

https://myopenhab.org/rest/items?metadata=alexa,channel,synonyms&recursive=true (please see below)
https://myopenhab.org/rest/services/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.i18nprovider/config

@omatzyo can you try to access the URLs above via your browser after initially logging successfully to your myopenhab account and let us know if you noticed a delay in response?

@ftarquini just for your information, I noticed the same behavior in the skill logs with your discovery requests. Would you be able to try accessing the same URLs?

Update

The items call listed above has now been changed to resolve the timeout issue. If you would like to determine if you would be still affected by a timeout > 8s, please use the below call instead:

https://myopenhab.org/rest/items?fields=editable,groupNames,groupType,name,label,metadata,stateDescription,tags,type&metadata=alexa,channel,synonyms

1 Like

Both links were snappy. The first took 3-5 seconds, the second was instantaneous.

You’re getting a lot more data than just my echo devices though. Just a quick scroll appears to be everything in my items file with all the metadata. Is that what you want?