All items are uninitialised and bindings missing after upgrade to OH3

I upgraded my openhab to v3, but after the upgrade all items are uninitialised. I can see my bindings under the settings tab, but when adding items the binding list is empty.

I can also see my zwave controller being uninitialised.

I tried to remove 1 item to add it again - but it gets stuck in “removing” state.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Found a way to solve it. I installed a new random binding and that did the trick.I tried deleting the cache first, restarts, etc. Nothing worked, but the new binding install triggered something… and suddenly it all worked.

1 Like

Same thing just happened to me. I’ve been on OH3.5 for a while now, installed some minor updates, rebooted and all my bindings were gone. I installed a random binding and everything popped back online.

Man this is a life saver comment. The same just happened to me and installing a new binding brought everything back online. Not sure if this is a known bug, but saved a lot of work. Thanks…

I just encountered a similar thing. I’m running version 3.3 currently and saw some open updates. I decided to update these from the config tool. After I did this I also executed option 10 to install the improvemnet and ironically the console output reported back something like “because it can’t hurt you”.
Similar to @gualcosta I had the scare off my life after only half of my configuration not returning. openhab log reported initially:
] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Some .kar files are not installed yet. Delaying add-on installation by 15s. that didn’t look too promising at first glance:

After rebooting once again, the jar problems disappeared, but now I noticed that all my items came online first and they were even persisted with historical values. But then they then mysteriously disappeared again within a minute and I found log entries like:

2022-10-31 20:11:03.540 [INFO ] [ab.ui.habpanel.internal.HABPanelTile] - Stopped HABPanel
2022-10-31 20:11:05.144 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'astro:sun:local' changed from ONLINE to UNINITIALIZED
2022-10-31 20:11:05.154 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'astro:sun:local' changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
2022-10-31 20:11:05.375 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enphase:inverter:121842042748:055727' changed from ONLINE to UNINITIALIZED
==> /var/log/openhab/openhab.log <==
2022-10-31 20:11:05.670 [INFO ] [basic.internal.servlet.WebAppServlet] - Stopped Basic UI
==> /var/log/openhab/events.log <==
2022-10-31 20:11:05.398 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enphase:inverter:121842042748:055727' changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
2022-10-31 20:11:05.399 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'enphase:inverter:121842042748:065526' changed from ONLINE to UNINITIALIZED
==> /var/log/openhab/openhab.log <==
2022-10-31 20:15:03.212 [INFO ] [openhab.core.model.script.DSMR.rules] - Gasmetervalue: 2486.151 ㎥
2022-10-31 20:15:03.214 [WARN ] [nce.extensions.PersistenceExtensions] - There is no queryable persistence service registered with the id 'rrd4j'

Then I found this thread. I first made the mistake to install a binding that was already part of my config, but unused. the installation timed out and I decided to try something more exotic. The binding was installed succesfully, but it needed another reboot to get everything back to working mode.