All my things disappeared! How do I get them back?

Okay very cool :slight_smile: thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

What are the best Methods to do that? Because recently I again lost the whole Database because of a Crash and I canā€™t find any hints in the Log, except the ā€œOut of memoryā€ issueā€¦the Problem is I canā€™t locate the Binding causing itā€¦also I have experienced that some bindings (Like Gardena) only thorws Errors wehen the Gardena API is offline ā†’ which leads to the memory exception

What would be such downsides? Because Iā€™m getting really Desperate with that Database-loss ā€¦it was the fith time now, and now functions without Problems BUT I havent touched anything :laughing:

Btw. fir this Crash I found a possible causeā€¦seems tahoma has Changed their auth-rate-limit: Tahoma Binding compatible with OH2 - #541 by Lolodomo

Ist it possible to Limit the momory per Binding? Or isolate a Binding in some was? So ist doesnā€™t Crash the whole Installation?

@Ondrej_Pecta die Others Had a Crash of the whole Installation? Btw. Thanks to all of you helping the Community :slight_smile:

I have never experienced any OH crash. As an author I have been using the Tahoma binding for years (with 15 devices) and no leaks neither crashes so far. But I need to mention that I have never used docker (only native install or lxc/lxd containers) and always run OH on an ubuntu LTS server with x86 arch and 4GB+ memoryā€¦

Okay I Seeā€¦I use Rpi 4 with 2gb of memory and a little extended heap-sizeā€¦

Well, thatā€™s the cause. If it encounters an OutOfMemory issue while itā€™s trying to save out to the JSONDB files, those files will become corrupted.

There are several threads discussing OutOfMemory problems with OH 3 you can find with a search of the forum.

That sounds like at least on potential source for the error. You should file an issue on that binding.

As a temporary work around you can create a cron job to restart OH periodically. That should free up any leaked memory and prevent it from crashing, until such time that you can pinpoint the source of the error.

• Especially for Things, the syntax is not well documented, is not well supported by the binding authors themselves, and people spend hours and hours of time fighting syntax errors.
  • For some bindings, there are certain things that simply cannot be done from .things files, such as setting parameters on Zwave devices
  • There are startup issues which have gotten better but still can be a problem with loading of config files.
  • You have to restart certain bindings from the console to pick up some changes to .things files.
  • They cannot be easily updated and modified remotely.
  • OH startup times are significantly faster.
  • Backups are automatically created
  • Certain things like Item metadata can persist past an OH restart when Items are managed instead of in .items files. When Items are defined in .items files, the Items themselves are destroyed and recreated anew every time the .items file is loaded. When they are managed, from a rule you can set a metadata property and when OH restarts, because the Item is not destroyed, the metadata persists.

I could go on. It is a little more awkward for some users to use MainUI, the console, and the REST API, but in my experience, any time gained by using text config files is more than lost in fighting syntax errors.

No.

1 Like

How would an ā€œoptimalā€ Cron Job look like for OpenHab in docker-compose?

Cron is a wholly separate service that lets you run a command periodically. Look up tutorials for ā€œcrontabā€ and just run docker restart openhab or what ever the name of the container is as the command.

Or you can put that command into a script and drop it into /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly, etc and cron will run it at that frequency.

Okay very cool thanks =) I thought there might be a ā€œsoft restartā€ or something like that, that just dumps the memoryā€¦