Almost all things disappeared

Dear All,

almost all my things has disappeared last saturday, only the things defined in a *.things file are still there. I haven’t changed anyting the days before and have no idea what happend. Some weeks ago I have updated from 2.4 to 2.5. In the logfile /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log I can see that everything works fine until 2020-01-25 15:49:59. Than it looks like that openhab (or the raspberry) restarted and my things where gone.

That is what I have tryed:

• cleared the cache
  • reset ownership
  • updated to 2.5.1-2

What could I do to find the reason and fix the problem?

Bye,
Christian

maybe take a peek at this thread, another user reported the database getting corrupted
hope you have a backup!

Hopefully you have a backup. It could very well be a corrupt or failing SD card.

I’m running openhab on a SSD, not SD card. My org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Thing.json was empty… I have restored the file from backup and it looks like my things are back. I need to check this, but now I have to bring a little monster to bed :wink:

2 Likes

It may have been file corruption then.
A UPS that can weather minor disturbances and cleanly shutdown the Pi if needed would be a good investment.

1 Like

would openhab log an event if a new org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Thing.json is created?

Perhaps not in the default logging level. Likely in Debug or Trace level though.

Your JSONDB file got lost (where every thing you define via PaperUI is stored).
/var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Thing.json
OH makes backups of those and stores them in the backup/ subdir, see if there is one old enough backup copy left.
Copy it back, but have OH shut down when you do.

1 Like

Hello! Hm, interesting, got the same problem with my 2.4 install on 15th of January after power supply cutoff. I came back from my travel yesterday and noticed that my Things config got wiped out.
Will check backups today

Successfully restored from the backup. I wonder if OH could have some auto-restore mechanism? In my case the file was 0 bytes long, and even empty valid config would consist of “{}”, so corrupt file is easy to detect.
I guess this problem could have been triggered by the fact that recently before leaving i added a Thing to the config. Perhaps the fs hasn’t been synced properly.