Amazon Products and openHAB

Hello,

Amazon and openHAB harmonizes great.
Is there a way to import the Basic Amazon Stuff like the Amazon Socket? Is IT possible with the WIFI Binding?

Thanks for any answears!

Not directly. That socket just uses your Wi-Fi to communicate directly with Amazon cloud servers, You can use OH to send commands to alexa to manage it though. have a socket but have not done that & it currently is not in use.

1 Like

Is it through the Alexa Binding?

yes I think a lot of people has some basic smart home stuff from Amazon. It is not expensive and works fine

The Vision to control the socket via openHAB at HomeKit is very cool. I know there are other sockets which even support HomeKit.

Keep in mind that you are dependent on an active internet connection and that amazon could change the interface so that the alexa binding might need to be adapted in order to use your socket with openHAB.

So don’t use the socket for anything that should run under all circumstances (e.g. heating, boiler for warm water, 
)

1 Like

In the docs is:

Discover Smart Home Devices

If you want to discover your smart home devices you need to activate it in the ‘Amazon Account’ thing. Devices from other skills can be discovered too. See section Smart Home Devices below for more information.

(Amazon Echo Control - Bindings | openHAB)

But if I discover at http://openhab:8080/amazonechocontrol/ only my Echo Control is listed.

In the items example is:
Switch Plug_State “On/Off” { channel=“amazonechocontrol:smartHomeDevice:account1:smartHomeDevice2:powerState” }

Actually that putles and an Echo Dot were a gift starting me on my smart home hobby.

Many of us prefer devices not requiring cloud access and vendors prefer devices locking you into their clod walled gardens. Fortunately there are standards designed for smart home such as Z-Eave & Zigbee that are designed for local control and to minimize battery usage. Wi-Fi has a high overhead just for the network protocol.

1 Like

I know a lot here are using zigbee or zwave to bypass all these Clouds.
I am also one of them.

But

I have one Amazon Plug at home and want to use it. In the openHAB doc it says:

But I don’t see my Amazon Plug. I only see my FireTV Stick, a Amazon Echo and the PI it self. (I think because he is logged in the Amazon Infrastructure “AWS”)

Does someone got it integrated?

I initially used the Amazon Alexa app, scanned the QR code, and added it through the App. The QR code was on the box and, I think, on the back of the device.

that’s the funny thing
! It is already integrated in the Alexa app

So where do you not see it? in Alexa web site online?

http://(myip):(port)/amazonechocontrol

Ip and port where my openhab instance is running

I have not set that up. or al least not in a while. Does it show at https://alexa.amazon.com ?

If not, try the Discover button.

Yes in the Amazon GUI (Alexa.amazon.com) it is online.

@Bruce_Osborne did you test it? Is it in your openHAB Instance online?

I do not use Alexa with OH

I was just trying to get basic troubleshooting information for somebody wiser than I.

does it work for anyone in the community?