Announcement: OpenHAB Report

I have started trying to document the OpenHAB installation in my house for posterity and – in particular – for anyone who might need to know about it in the future (e.g. someone who acquires the house at some later date).

I decided that a wiki would be the best bet for the documentation, which includes other stuff besides OpenHAB, and I chose Dokuwiki because I find it easy to install and use.

Pretty soon I ran into the problem of how to relate stuff in the wiki to what is actually happening in OpenHAB, so I wrote a program that currently extracts the information from OPENHAB_USERDATA/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Thing.json and makes it available in a duly cross-linked form to be included into a Dokuwiki file tree.

The program generates SVG diagrams and text (see Github for examples).

I call the program OpenHAB Report, or OHR for short, and it can be found on Github. It belongs in the same sort of category as JSON2Config.

I would appreciate some help to get it working properly under Linux and Windows, but the MacOS version works for me. It might be useful for other people too.

Regards,
Steve

14 Likes

Sounds great, I had similar plans since quite a while - but never found the time for it :sweat_smile:
Will try it when I’m back from vacation :thinking::grin:

Is it just me or are the pictures broken?

I haven’t quite understood it - need those pictures to be sure :slight_smile:

The pictures are also in the Documentation folder.

I don’t know Github that well, so I may have done something wrong. I had the same issue as you but it went away when I clicked on the links to the images.

Steve

I’ve changed the image links to relative links - perhaps that will help.

What isn’t mvn? How does one get it to execute?

I am confident I don’t have netbeans or maven installed on any computer I own. Are they required? Can you just post the jar file?

I wanted to try the tool to see how it works for my setups. This will allow me to provide value added feedback. Right now I am not certain the report adds value for me, but if I see it on my setup I will know for sure. I like when people create out of the box option for making life easier!

@Thedannymullen It’s all Maven, developed with Netbeans 12.

I’m still learning about many things, including Github. I don’t know how to upload the latest JAR (or .app) to Github, but I’ll take a look at how to do it.

Steve

1 Like

You can upload binaries/other files as release.

Thanks, @christoph_wempe! I’ve now created an initial release that contains the .jar and .app files for MacOS.

Steve

Awesome thanks!!

Nicely done sir! I have been for awhile manually documenting things. Would love to see if that command line option is still available. That would be cool to schedule something like a weekly update.

I’ve fixed OHR so that the JAR can be started from the command line. Please see the Github page for details of how to use it.

Steve

1 Like

noob here how to I run it for a GUI experience?

Either run the .app bundle or start the JAR from the command line without any options, as per readme.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.