Announcing some improvements to the Homekit plugin for openHAB 2

No plans right now, but you’re welcome to open a PR for it: https://github.com/hap-java/openhab2-addons/tree/homekit/addons/io/org.openhab.io.homekit

Specifically, see my comment :point_up: about the fact that respective openhab bindings should deal with this.

do I have to remove the current-installed version of the Homekit plugin for using the v2.4.0.homekit6?
or can it updated inplace?

You’ll need to remove it, first

I see…
Will then my linked devices disappear in OH and in HomeKit? (With that my HomeKit scenes and associated rules)

Thanks

I’ll crosspost here this Homekit ContactSensor now showing up

Maybe @Tim_Harper you can help me. Thanks!

hi Alex,

thanks to efforts of @Tim_Harper , the contactsensor is running great since a few weeks in my implementation (fibaro over zWave and OH2.4 on Raspberry).
You’ll need to add the v2.4.0-homekit-6 jar-file to your addon’s folder ([link to jar-file])(https://github.com/hap-java/openhab2-addons/releases/tag/v2.4.0-homekit-6))

Make sure you have removed to standard homekit integration from PapierUI.

Enjoy !

@IvanL you’re correct! I’ve updated my original post. I switched to using the latest 2.5.0 jar.

Thanks @IvanL and @Tim_Harper

How can I check, I’ve installed the current version (v2.4.0-homekit-6) ?

bunde:list is telling:

is this correct?

Yeah, that’s what I see, also.

hi @Stefan83,

when you are running OH2.4 the bundle version in bundle:list will be the same version.
Make sure you have:

• removed homekit via paper-UI
  • copied the v2.4.0-homekit-6 jar-file to the addons folder

If you haven’t removed homekit from paper-UI, you will get a message in your openhab.log file during startup : org.osgi.framework.BundleException: A bundle is already installed with the name “org.openhab.io.homekit” and version "2.4.0"

hope this helps

1 Like

I have now tried to insert empty batteries and I get the battery message displayed. So it works. But… after the next start of the app the battery message is gone again. Can you still change that?

Will this be merged to the main branch some day?

This is the current effort:

1 Like

When you say “the next start of the app”, do you mean if OpenHAB is restarted? This is likely because you don’t have a persistence service configured, so when OpenHAB restarts it doesn’t immediately know the status of your battery, so we can’t report to HomeKit that the battery is low.

No, I mean the homekit app. I have not restarted openhab. Yesterday I had the following result:
The opened window is displayed with a battery warning in the Homekit app. When I close the window, the battery warning remains. If I close the Homekit app now and open it again afterwards, the battery warning has disappeared.

I have added automation to my garage door and a reed switch that shows the status as soon as the door gets opened or closed. This works well but I was wondering if the switch could be merged with the “Contact” button so that you can click the garage door picture and that acts as the switch as well?

1 Like

@Tim_Harper @ccutrer Great to see someone working on the homekit addon, greatly appreciated!

If you have time, here is another issue I’ve opened a while ago, which would improve thermostat handling quite a bit…

This is really great, @Tim_Harper. Thank you very much.

I noticed one small change compared to the old Homekit binding. For a “Lighting” you could choose type of bulb like you can choose type of “ContactSensor” in the Homekit app. It seems that this option is gone with the new binding.
The types looked like this:

Edit:
The functionality is identical to what it was before. The icons for light can be changed by holding down the icon, which is different than ContactSensor.

Just wanted to add my voice of thanks to @Tim_Harper for the efforts on this plugin. Homekit integration has always been an important part of Openhab for us and your efforts to improve the functionality and stability are REALLY appreciated! Thank you!