Another Aeon Gen 5 Issue - No Device

Hey Jim, i updated the groups file accordingly. rebooted and still the same error. trying to figure my way through these permission issues…

i do log in with pi.

i have an openhab user setup but not sure if it has the correct rights.

i logged out as pi and logged in as openhab.

then i tried to shutdown as openhab and i get this:

openhab is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

also do i need to have permissions on tty as well?

thanks!

also i found these directions:

Add this the following line to /etc/init.d/openhab and to /usr/share/openhab/bin/openhab.sh
"-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/(your port here) "
right after “-Dosgi.noShutdown=true”

I have found the first openhab file and i have the line already in there. i did move it to after the command as stated. i cannot find the openhab.sh file. i do not have an openhab folder in the /share/ folder.

not sure this all matters but trying to check off anything a i can find.

thanks!

Dear member.
Reading your post i would suggest its not your stick but a question of rights. Please check for lockfiles and have a read on one of my old posts for synology.
I to have a z-stick s2 and sometimes it just wont work because of lockfiles. You can allready check /var/lock and please test the stick on another machine with the tool from zensys.
Kind regards

@boilermanc how are you starting openhab? As a service, or from the command line with the start script? If as a system startup service openhab should indeed be the user. The openhab.log may have other clues. The lockfile mentioned by @wolf_from_the_north is the next place to look, and the log file is the place to find the info.

@xsnrg i start from the command line. i followed the directions from homeautomationgeek. i used this command. I tried it as user openhab and no joy.

sudo /etc/init.d/openhab start

@wolf_from_the_north what am i looking for for the lockfile? not sure what that means?

Ah, you are issuing it with sudo which means openhab is running as root. This also means that the groups, and likely the lockfile as well are simply not a problem. Root owns all. There is a different conversation about “don’t do that” but that is for another time. Running as root for right now gets rid of some things that were questions.

Try this: find the openhab.log file on your system and remove it. Start openhab as you mentioned above with sudo. After a minute or two, make a copy of the log file and upload it somewhere pubic where folks here can get a look at it. Some folks like dropbox, others pastebin, etc. Doesn’t matter much.

@xsnrg busy day! I took some time during conference calls to reload the box. reinstalled 1.8.1 using the homeautomationgeek directions. I like the detail in his information. I tried the stick again and still same thing so at the end of the day that doesnt seemed to have helped.

One question, it never stats to add a user called openhab. i am just using pi with this latest build and have not added openhab. i checked dialout and made sure pi was added. ttyACM0 is where the stick is and it has dialout assigned.

So I followed your directions and here is the dropbox link to the log. not much in there of course but maybe it will help! I used the sudo command to start it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2244671/openhab.log

there are sooo many people dealing with this. thanks for taking the time to help out. i am hopeful that we find something that can help others down the road.

from the log, it looks like maybe you do not have the full path to the device specified. try setting it to ‘/dev/ttyACM0’ for the port.

@xsnrg booyaaa!!! that did it! nice catch!! thank you thank you thank you!

soooo here is what i got. i see node 2 and node 3 listed. how do i know which one is the light switch that i have on the controller?

2016-02-12 02:13:26.891 [INFO ] [b.z.i.protocol.ZWaveController] - Serial port is initialized
2016-02-12 02:13:30.272 [INFO ] [rialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 1: Node found
2016-02-12 02:13:31.423 [INFO ] [rialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 3: Node found
2016-02-12 02:13:31.426 [INFO ] [rialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - ZWave Controller using Controlle r API
2016-02-12 02:13:31.428 [INFO ] [rialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - ZWave Controller is Primary Cont roller
2016-02-12 02:13:31.430 [INFO ] [rialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - ------------Number of Nodes Foun d Registered to ZWave Controller------------
2016-02-12 02:13:31.432 [INFO ] [rialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - # Nodes = 2
2016-02-12 02:13:31.434 [INFO ] [rialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - -------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
2016-02-12 02:13:32.856 [WARN ] [.o.b.z.i.p.c.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 3: Unsupported command clas s POWERLEVEL
2016-02-12 02:13:32.918 [WARN ] [.o.b.z.i.p.c.ZWaveCommandClass

Node 1 is always the controller, or at least I have not seen a case where it is not. That case could exist where you have more than one controller, but we won’t get into that. Node 3 then, is your switch.

and it is and i can actually turn a light on and off from my phone. wow. lol…

thanks again. now i can really get busy!!

If you can use the openhab user its allready wrong, you can never use this
user. On a pi you start as root or as a user with the correct priveleges
not the openhab one.
Op 11-feb.-2016 16:14 schreef “Clint Crowe” bot@community.openhab.org:

boilermanc Clint Crowe
February 11

@xsnrg i start from the command line. i followed the directions from
homeautomationgeek. i used this command. I tried it as user openhab and no
joy.

sudo /etc/init.d/openhab start

@wolf_from_the_north what am i looking for for the lockfile? not sure
what that means?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To
unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences

You could use an “openhab” user if you created it, or if the package you installed created it for you (like with apt-get). You just have to make sure that user has the ability to write lock files, logs, and the like. It is true, on a pi you first log in as user “pi”, but you can certainly create other users either yourself or programatically.

To answer you question.

When a lock file is present because you started openhab with a different user the before then the possebility exists that lockfiles are left behind preventing you from using the serial port cause the current user that is trying to acces the same file never got to write it and has no access to it.
This issue sometimes happens on my xpenology and my pi 2.
I own the previous version of the aeon stick.

If yiu can get your stick to work in windows it is most of the time a rights issue in linux based Os.

LS,

I read this thread thoroughly, its exactly covering the problem I have with my Synology NAS DS412+, OpenHAB 1.8.1-001 en Aeon z-wave stick Gen5.
Only I did define the full reference to the /dev/ttyACM0 and no lock files present, I think.
OpenHAB is installed with the DSM package manager. And is started through the DSM Package system.

I did create a group dialout for user openhab en added the user to it. Also changed group and permission on the /dev/ttyACM0 (dialout and 660). See screenshot:

NasTV> ls -l /dev/ttyAC*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Mar 2 12:30 /dev/ttyACM0

The lock files:

NasTV> ls -l /var/lock/*
/var/lock/lvm:

/var/lock/subsys:
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 2 00:12 ipsec
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 2 00:12 mysql

Any ideas why I still get this in the OpenHAB log?

Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist

Hoping for a miracle :slightly_smiling:

Thanks

In addition, this is on the console when entering the Aeon Gen5 USB stick:

[41659.759782] usb 3-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd
[41659.940727] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[41662.320319] cdc_acm 3-2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[41662.328451] cdc_acm 3-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[41662.335941] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[41662.341742] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

I’ve also tried the addon z-wave binding version 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT, no difference, still
"Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist"…

thanks

Did you restart the NAS after adding the user running openhab to the dialout group?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I did do a restart after adding the user to the dialout group.
The settings of the /dev/ttyACM0 I have to do again after every reboot or unpluggin/plugin of the z-wave stick. It’s created as root/root and permission 600

I found this post in a synology forum:

Now I have spent many hours trying to figure this out, why it works for some and others not.
Aotec Gen 5 stick uses cdc-acm driver.
It looks like your NAS have an older kernel with an older cdc-acm driver and that’s the problem.
I’ll try to find a solution, but no promises.

Regards
Jadahl

This is the version on my Synology:

Linux version 3.10.35 (root@build2) (gcc version 4.7.3 20130102 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.18.0) ) #5644 SMP Fri Jan 22 13:38:47 CST 2016

Could this be the problem?

It is possible. I do not know for sure though. Do you have any DSM updates for your system that are pending?

Thanks.

Synology Nas is up to date.
Info:
DS412+
Current DSM version: DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5
DSM date: 2016/02/18

Also all packages are up to date.

I’ve been browsing the web in search for a newer version of the “cdc-acm driver” for the Aeon Gen 5 z-wave stick to be installed on Linux version 3.10.35, I can’t seem to find it.

• Any ideas on where to find one that supports the stick and can be installed on Linux version 3.10.35 ?
  • Any ideas what to do to get rid of this message: “Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist”?
  • Is anyone familiar with a functioning configuration consisting of a Synology NAS with DSM 5.2 and the Aeon z-wave stick Gen5?
  • Or a configuration with Linux version 3.10.35 and the z-wave stick?

All in search for some enlightenment :slightly_smiling:

Thanks !