Apple TV Integration at HomeKit Binding

@yfre :
Do you think that this would be possible? To access all the information of an Apple TV like pause, play and other data from Homekit?
For example Openhab could light up the room when the Apple TV pause’s the video and switch off the light when you play the video again?

Thank you for your information.

Hi Jan,

cool use case.

im currently working on television support for openhab but it will work other way around - openHAB will appear as TV and could be controlled via homekit remote on iphone (and could in turn send commands to lights, etc)

in order to get information from Apple TV we would need to be homekit client, i.e. consume/use homekit services. This is not supported, not only for Apple TV but also for other homekit devices. I have no plans to implement it. but maybe somebody else will do it.

Hi-

I realize this is an old thread, but I think what you’re looking for is an OpenHAB binding for AppleTV. Even though your AppleTV appears in the Home app, it’s not controlled via HomeKit, but rather by a series of other (evolving) protocols.

There is a binding for AppleTV that supports OpenHAB 2, but because of the way it was built, it needed to be rewritten for OpenHAB 3. I’ve been working on that and posted about an early version I wanted to get feedback on.

The readme and installation instructions are badly formatted on the link in that post, but a more readable version is available here (You only need to follow the steps to install pyatv; a pre-built version of the binding is available from the post):

https://git.sr.ht/~hww3/org.openhab.binding.appletv/tree/master/item/README.md?view-source

It’s still a work in progress (mostly in terms of ease of installation and improved error handling) but I’ve been using it for the last month and it has been reliable when I’ve used openhab to view the status or control the device. Additionally, it’s got a number of features and benefits that the previous version lacked.

Please have a look and if there’s anything I can do to assist in getting it working, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

2 Likes