Automatic updating of the visualised variables - Storage location of variables

Hello guys, I have a simple question to ask. Since switching from Openhab 2.x to Openhab 3.1, I am missing the understanding of the MainUI visualisation.
Unfortunately, the values in the visualisation are not updated automatically. Only when the page is reloaded, the values are also updated. I assume it is because I have to create a variblen file for each page with the same name right?
(In the Basic UI, I saved all variables in one file, because the Basic UI also consisted of one page. )
I have a few questions about this:

1. Where exactly is the name of the page? Would it be the name “HOME” in the example?
  2. The items file should then have the name “HOME.items”, correct?

Thanks for your help!

• Platform information:

• Hardware: Proxmox: Memory: 4GB RAM, processors: 1 socket, 2 cores
    • openHAB version: openHAB 3.1.0
  • Issue of the topic:

• Sitemap: Main UI: Variables are not updated automatically

Which visualization? MaunUI’s admin page? Overview page? A custom layout page?

No, unless you are talking about sitemaps. Are you talking about sitemaps?

There is no such requirement in MainUI. It doesn’t care what your .items files are named and in fact, many don’t even have .items files.

I can’t tell from that little screen shot what you are showing and what you are trying to do. Are you trying to build a sitemap or are you trying to build a MainUI Layout page? Are you looking instead at the Settings → Items page?

I find that the people who have the hardest time with OH 3 are old OH 2 users who neglect to go through the Getting Started Tutorial (because they think they already know it). MainUI is wholly new thing in OH 3 and how to configure and use it is covered at a high level in the Getting Started Tutorial. If you are talking about MainUI, perhaps that would be a good place to start to understand how it works.

1 Like

Can confirm, every once in a while my brain goes derp as well.

I’d like to also share the following YouTube playlist, which has helped me immensely in better understanding the pages and other v3 things that weren’t immediately clear for me:

Edit: I think the playlist defaults on the first video which is the install one, but there’s more in the playlist, I promise!

1 Like