Backup/restore ZWave network information

Anything new here?

I have over 80 Zwave things and I just recently accidentally deleted the ZWave Controller in HABmin while I wanted to delete another item.
As I did not know better, I had to re-add the controller and it got a new controller ID. In addition all things popped up my inbox a second time while I had to forcefully delete my already existing things.

By the way, is there a way to change the controller ID. I am using a ZMEERAZ2 Z-Wave.Me RaZberry 2.

Thanks!

1. If you´re using text config files, (or items files)… All you need to do is to exhange the controller ID in the the channel with the new controller ID, whenever you have a new controller ID. It´s very fast done when using items files and having all things in one file. Just a fast copy/replace, and you´re up running again in seconds.

2. You can also setup your controller using config file. It´s a bit tricky, cause it´s not descriped, but it works… Then you wont have to do anything, if you re-add the controller as you have already named/ID the controller in the config file.

I use the first option but has also used the second. I had to dump the second option because I ran into troubble with the serial driver. But before the mess with the serial driver, it worked perfectly.

Thank you for the fast reply.

Yes, I did a fast replace in my item files as the node IDs where still the same. The problem was more on the things side. I use my own naming convention also for the things to maintain the overview over 80 things. So I had to manually add the things from the inbox, name them and delete the old things.
But okay, no re-including at least.

For the controller I am using the discovery as stated as best practice in the documentation of the binding.
Next time I would try the manual steps, but hopefully there is no next time.

More important, how can I create a backup of my ZWave network so that I can recover my ZWave stick if the stick is broken?

I read the this may be possible with a Z-Way software but I do not know how.

You can do it with the “Z-Wave PC Controller”, free (as in beer) software from Silicon Labs. You can download it from them directly by jumping through a ton of hoops, or you can get it right here.

See this thread too, we were just discussing this exact thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you can use the same controller id as before when adding the controller as a Thing.
So if doing this there is no need to edit anything in your config.

2 Likes

Hi,
just seen that the ZMESerialUpdater is also able to backup and restore zwave.me devices such as Razberry2 and UZB1.

Download: https://z-wave.me/download/ZMESerialUpdater.tgz

Backup:
./ZMESerialUpdater serialapi_ripnvm -d /dev/ttyACM0 backup.bin

Restore:
./ZMESerialUpdater serialapi_restorenvm -d /dev/ttyACM0 backup.bin

Script which disables Z-Wave binding, takes a backup and starts binding again:

#!/bin/bash

destination='/backup/'
apiurl='http://localhost:8080/rest/things/zwave%3Aserial_zstick%3Azwave1'
prefix='ZWAVE'
retention='+13'

file=$prefix-$(date '+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S').bin
if [ -d $destination -a ! -f $destination$file ]; then
find $destination -maxdepth 1 -type f -name $prefix-*_*.bin -ctime $retention -delete
curl -sX PUT --header 'Content-Type: application/json' --header 'Accept: application/json' -d 'false' $apiurl'/enable' >/dev/null
port=$(curl -X GET --header 'Accept: application/json' $apiurl 2>/dev/null | jq -r '.configuration.port')
sleep 5
./ZMESerialUpdater serialapi_ripnvm -d $port $destination$file
curl -sX PUT --header 'Content-Type: application/json' --header 'Accept: application/json' -d 'true' $apiurl'/enable' > /dev/null
fi

Maybe it is a solution to make controller backups at your own for example with cron.

Can anybody say if there were also topology information backuped and restored?

5 Likes

Hi guys!

I spent a long time reading here and there forums to finally get my UZB1 Zwave stick backup & restore working …
Lots of people just struggle with this so I decided to create a small application that you can find here:
https://domotic-hobby.com/download/uzb1-cloner

Please let me some comments on my web site under the tool download section, I will be pleased to read them and answer to your questions.

Thanks,

Sebastien

3 Likes

Hi @Sattaz
I have a Zwave.me RaZberry ZM5202 Board plugged on a Openhabian system.
Could you tell me if your application works for me, please ?
Thanks and regards
Louis

Hi @oeiber ,
Have you try a backup and restore Zwave network configuration ?
Did you succeed ?
Thanks and regards,
Louis

Hi Louis
Why not using Z-Way?
You can install it easily on your RPi: Z-Way
Stop OH and start Z-Way, you have then the possibility to backup your RaZberry, beside others.

Hi @chris4789 ,
It seems a good advice, thanks a lot.
I will try it ASAP.
Thanks again,
Louis

Hi Luis,

yes, i did - works fine.

Best,

Oliver

Hi @oeiber ,
Great I have now 2 solutions to backup.
Thanks a lot,
Best regards,
Louis

Hello,

I tried this tool today and it worked perfectly! Created a backup and restored it on another UZB1 stick and it worked without any issues when swapping the zwave stick on my raspberry pi with openhabian.

Thanks a lot!

There is No way to Backup a Stick in openhab directly yet, right? (And restore in Case needed)

Correct. I believe any methods used are vendor specific.

Hi guys!

All what you need to backup & restore your ZWAVE Stick is a PC and my little tool that embeds the ZWAVE . ME ZWave Programmer tool.
Check my earlier reply to this thread, there is a link to my little tool ‘ZWAVE Cloner’:
https://domotic-hobby.com/download/uzb1-cloner

Tested with:
ZWAVE . ME ZME_UZB1 stick, Everspring stick, Aeotec z-stick gen5, Vision ZU1401-5 and Jeedom Smart Zwave controller

Some people even backed up their razberry controller (sorry in french):

The procedure to make a backup or do a restore is documented within the tool… super easy.
I made this tool because it was hard to find out how to use the original backup tools and it is so frustrating not to have a backup of such an important piece of equipment when you need it :slight_smile:
Tip: Don’t forget to test a restore of your backup on ANOTHER usb controller stick.

Thanks,

Sebastien

1 Like

You want to add it to openhab? As Part of the Binding maybe?
Would be cool to periodically/automatically create a img File of the Stick

Wow, thank you very much for your program, it seems that it just saved one of my Z-Wave Networks. :+1:
I am running 3 Z-Wave networks with 3 Aeon Z Sticks Gen5 (one for each floor of the building) and I periodically made backups with the Aeon backup tool. This week the controller in the groundfloor failed (the first time in 6 years that this scenario happened). OpenHab started throwing erros in Karaf Console that communication with the stick failed after a couple of minutes after each restart.
So I took a new Aeon Z-Stick Gen5 and flashed the backup, but: also the new stick with the Aeon backup failed after a couple of minutes! I also tried backups from one year ago → same result.
I was close to restart the groundfloor from scratch (reset and pair alle 60 devices with a fresh stick) when I read your post here about your backup tool. So I tried to backup the stick with your tool, which worked. Then I flashed another stick with the backup and now it seems to works (so far for a couple of hours only, but still stable).
So apparently the Aeon backup tool is backing up “too much” (even errors in the config of the stick ?) while your tool only seems to backup the node information (which is essential).
I will have to wait and see if I spoke to soon, but so far it seems that your tool has saved me a lot of time. Thank you very much for this great piece of software! :wink:

Hi Sebastien,

Thank you very much for you backup/restore application! I will try it with my Everspring stick as soon as possible…

I share the position of shorty707, it would be very nice if it is integrated in OpenHAB. The only concern I have is associated with what you say in the instructions:

“1) First of all, be sure not to have your Zwave Controller next to any ZWave module already paired with it. In case you cannot power off all modules then go by walk, bike, car, or anything else but get your Zwave Controller somewhere else that will not disturb it.”

This seems a little bit incompatible with having this software integrated in OpenHAB.

Do you see any way to overcome this problem?