Best,

Oliver

Hi @oeiber ,
Great I have now 2 solutions to backup.
Thanks a lot,
Best regards,
Louis

Hello,

I tried this tool today and it worked perfectly! Created a backup and restored it on another UZB1 stick and it worked without any issues when swapping the zwave stick on my raspberry pi with openhabian.

Thanks a lot!

There is No way to Backup a Stick in openhab directly yet, right? (And restore in Case needed)

Correct. I believe any methods used are vendor specific.

Hi guys!

All what you need to backup & restore your ZWAVE Stick is a PC and my little tool that embeds the ZWAVE . ME ZWave Programmer tool.
Check my earlier reply to this thread, there is a link to my little tool ‘ZWAVE Cloner’:
https://domotic-hobby.com/download/uzb1-cloner

Tested with:
ZWAVE . ME ZME_UZB1 stick, Everspring stick, Aeotec z-stick gen5, Vision ZU1401-5 and Jeedom Smart Zwave controller

Some people even backed up their razberry controller (sorry in french):

The procedure to make a backup or do a restore is documented within the tool… super easy.
I made this tool because it was hard to find out how to use the original backup tools and it is so frustrating not to have a backup of such an important piece of equipment when you need it :slight_smile:
Tip: Don’t forget to test a restore of your backup on ANOTHER usb controller stick.

Thanks,

Sebastien

1 Like

You want to add it to openhab? As Part of the Binding maybe?
Would be cool to periodically/automatically create a img File of the Stick

Wow, thank you very much for your program, it seems that it just saved one of my Z-Wave Networks. :+1:
I am running 3 Z-Wave networks with 3 Aeon Z Sticks Gen5 (one for each floor of the building) and I periodically made backups with the Aeon backup tool. This week the controller in the groundfloor failed (the first time in 6 years that this scenario happened). OpenHab started throwing erros in Karaf Console that communication with the stick failed after a couple of minutes after each restart.
So I took a new Aeon Z-Stick Gen5 and flashed the backup, but: also the new stick with the Aeon backup failed after a couple of minutes! I also tried backups from one year ago → same result.
I was close to restart the groundfloor from scratch (reset and pair alle 60 devices with a fresh stick) when I read your post here about your backup tool. So I tried to backup the stick with your tool, which worked. Then I flashed another stick with the backup and now it seems to works (so far for a couple of hours only, but still stable).
So apparently the Aeon backup tool is backing up “too much” (even errors in the config of the stick ?) while your tool only seems to backup the node information (which is essential).
I will have to wait and see if I spoke to soon, but so far it seems that your tool has saved me a lot of time. Thank you very much for this great piece of software! :wink:

Hi Sebastien,

Thank you very much for you backup/restore application! I will try it with my Everspring stick as soon as possible…

I share the position of shorty707, it would be very nice if it is integrated in OpenHAB. The only concern I have is associated with what you say in the instructions:

“1) First of all, be sure not to have your Zwave Controller next to any ZWave module already paired with it. In case you cannot power off all modules then go by walk, bike, car, or anything else but get your Zwave Controller somewhere else that will not disturb it.”

This seems a little bit incompatible with having this software integrated in OpenHAB.

Do you see any way to overcome this problem?

Wrap the controller in aluminum foil to block the Z-Wave RF signal?

If you need to physically intervene on the controller when doing a backup, then having this functionality integrated in OpenHAB would be nice but would not change our lives w.r.t. the current situation where you need to unplug the ZWave stick from the Raspberry and plug it into a PC. For example, automatic backups would not be possible…

I interpreted the issue as that no Z-Wave device could be connected to the controller. OH cannot assume a particular OS. Any additional software would need to ne Jave based, likely using OSGi.

I am also unsure that the OH core architecture would permit something like this.