Battery node not initialised after reboot

Ok than I meant a hard reset of the RaZberry board with deleting all data stored on the chip (devices, id what ever) and started from scratch. Maybe that was exaggerated but it works!

hello again,

Iā€™ve the probelm again!

After rebooting my RaZberry the thermostates have desapeared again! They are not listed under ā€œNumber of Nodes Found Registered to ZWave Controllerā€ anymore. Have you an idea what might be the problem?

Perhaps it is a distance problem. It seems that they only use a direct connnection to the controller even there are other devices nearer.

I bring them near to the controller and wake them up, now they working again.

@chris please have a look on the screenshot of HABmin is that normal? The thermostates have the node ids 2,9,14:

+1

I just saw this thread. A few weeks ago I bought a new popp 010101 thermostat that I use with openHAB on a rasberry pi.

Whenever I restart the openHAB daemon I also need to press the button of the thermostat before it establishes a connection to openHAB.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in debugging the problem further such as collecting logs or provide further details.

Make sure that the wakeup is properly configured. If itā€™s not, then you need to manually wake up the device.

Hi Chris,

Well, I think it is waking up properly as I have nice graph over the temperature reading and also I can change the setpoint. But after a restart of openhab I need to wake the thermostat up manually in order for it to register with openhab.

Best

Hansen

As said, you need to configure the wakeup:

I have done that. For now I set it to a low value, I know it drains batteryā€¦

wakeup

Just because itā€™s sending temperature data is not an indicator that itā€™s waking up. Wake up is totally different - unless the device sends the wake up message the bing cant communicate with the device.

I am facing the exact same issue with my devolo thermostate.
After every reboot of my openhab2 server the devolo is not connecting to the zwave controller on its own.

I am going to try excluding the devolo, deleting the thing from openhab, reset both the controller and the devolo and include them again.

Hello againā€¦

my 3 thermostates works now fine for some weeks. But now have the problem again. What Iā€™ve done is the following. I changed the properties of one thermostate / thing and after storing the config the connection is lost. Iā€™ve to push the wakeup button again and again until it works again and transmit the temperature (this takes really a long time). But when I now reboot the system the node isnā€™t listed under ā€œNumber of Nodes Found Registered to ZWave Controllerā€ anymore.

I can reproduce this behavior with the second thermostate. This thermostate works for 2 or 3 weeks without any problems too (even after rebooting):

The node 9 is listed after reboot:

2017-11-03 08:00:15.938 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 8: Node found
2017-11-03 08:00:15.940 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 9: Node found
2017-11-03 08:00:15.941 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 11: Node found

So I change the name of the thing in PaperUI the following log appears:

2017-11-03 08:29:33.211 [DEBUG] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Message: class=RemoveFailedNodeID[0x61], type=Request[0x00], priority=High, dest=255, callback=0, payload=01 01 
2017-11-03 08:29:33.214 [DEBUG] [message.RemoveFailedNodeMessageClass] - NODE 9: Got RemoveFailedNode request.
2017-11-03 08:29:33.215 [DEBUG] [message.RemoveFailedNodeMessageClass] - NODE 9: Successfully removed node from controller!
2017-11-03 08:29:33.217 [DEBUG] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Notifying event listeners: ZWaveNetworkEvent

I wonder about the entry ā€œSuccessfully removed node from controller!ā€? Why is the node removed from the controller?

Iā€™m waitingā€¦ only these messages are logged:

2017-11-03 08:32:18.426 [WARN ] [ssage.ApplicationCommandMessageClass] - NODE 9: Not initialized yet, ignoring message.
2017-11-03 08:37:10.583 [WARN ] [ssage.ApplicationCommandMessageClass] - NODE 9: Not initialized yet, ignoring message.
2017-11-03 08:40:53.556 [DEBUG] [g.zwave.internal.ZWaveConfigProvider] - NODE 9: Node not found in getConfigDescription
2017-11-03 08:42:02.822 [WARN ] [ssage.ApplicationCommandMessageClass] - NODE 9: Not initialized yet, ignoring message.

No connection , no data and when I now reboot the system the node 9 is missing in the list:

2017-11-03 09:03:14.357 [DEBUG] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - Got MessageSerialApiGetInitData response.
2017-11-03 09:03:14.371 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 7: Node found
2017-11-03 09:03:14.373 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 8: Node found
2017-11-03 09:03:14.376 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 11: Node found
2017-11-03 09:03:14.378 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - NODE 12: Node found
2017-11-03 09:03:14.388 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - ZWave Controller using Controller API
2017-11-03 09:03:14.390 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - ZWave Controller is Primary Controller
2017-11-03 09:03:14.392 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - ------------Number of Nodes Found Registered to ZWave Controller------------
2017-11-03 09:03:14.394 [INFO ] [age.SerialApiGetInitDataMessageClass] - # Nodes = 12

I really donā€™t understand it. The nodes a properly configured and initialized and working fine even after rebooting. But when changing a property in PaperUI it seems that the node is removed from the controller. After that itā€™s ver tricky to get it work properly again. I need many tries and time to reinitilize the device again succesfully. So my guess is that not the reboot is the problem but the change of the thing configuration.

I think the only way this command is sent is if it is done manually through the UI, so I guess you sent this command?

Hi Chris,

no I only change the name of the device and store it nothing else as I described.

I would check the logs - if this is all you do, then HABmin shouldnā€™t be sending this.

In this case I used paperUI to change the properties.
My third thermostate is already working fine ā€¦ should I try reproduce it with HABmin?

Ok, thatā€™s maybe a problem, but same comment - check the logs to see if this command was sent.

The issue is that PaperUI sends ALL configuration to the device, so even if you change the name, it will COMPLETELY reconfigure the device and queue ALL parameters to be reset. HABmin will only send changed items.

I canā€™t see if the command is sent. There is a NullPointerException in the log. I sent you an email with the log maybe you can have a look at it.

I do the same with my third thermostate but this time I used HABmin to change the name. Now I see what you mean.

After changing the name with HABmin the thermostate is still working fine and send the temperature as aspected. The node is not removed and it is still listed after reboot.

That means the recommandation is only use HABmin for Zwave - thatā€™s probably your recommendation anyway!

1 Like

I can kind of confirm this.
I thought I was doing something wrong. But actually itā€™s kind of the same what you did.

I reset all components, and included the thermostate again with default parameters.
It worked, With reboot.
I changed the device configuration to a smaller wakeup value in paperui (60 in this case for testing). And it started bugging. I rebooted, it connected. Waited some minutes. Noticed that the temperature suddenly isnā€™t updating anymore.
Then found out the device is not speaking to my zwave controller anymore.
Could not get it to connect to the controller again, no matter what I did.
Exluded the device and included it again.
Now with default parameters it seems to work. And does ā€œsurviveā€ reboots.

I do not need to change any parameters at the moment luckily. But if I do I will try it with habmin, then :slight_smile:

Have you try to change the wakup value with HABmin?

No not yet, as I dont need a different configuration at the moment.
(The classes I want to edit are not yet implemented in openhab2 according to @chris)

Funny thing is: I use openhab 2.1.0. But Habmin states itā€™s version as 2.0.0. It does have a lot of things that do not work, and throw back errors and exceptions on a lot of actions. Luckily none of them are essential.
I installed HABmin as an addon through paperUI but something seems to have went wrong.

Anyway before I start troublehooting that I will wait for the stable 2.2.0 openHAB build :slight_smile:

The command is sent.

2017-11-03 08:29:28.309 [DEBUG] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 9: Configuration update action_remove to -232323
2017-11-03 08:29:28.311 [DEBUG] [message.RemoveFailedNodeMessageClass] - NODE 9: Marking node as having failed.

In theory this should not do anything as the controller should ignore this for a device that it thinks is working. Probably this is the case as the node doesnā€™t actually disappear, but clearly this isnā€™t good. The binding should remove the value once itā€™s been set to avoid this becoming a default action, but Iā€™m wondering if ESH has changed something in the config area that has stopped this working - Iā€™ll take a look.

As above, the controller wonā€™t allow a node to be removed in this way if it thinks it is still alive.