Beginner questions Openhab 3/RPI4

Hi all, i have spent a fair bit of time trying to learn on my own from the various available resources. so far so good i have set up my Openhab 3 on RPI4. I have some questions whihc i havent been able to answer yet.

1. if you enable wifi (via opehabian confi/ssh) does this replace the ethernet connection or is it a backup.I have enabled it a couple of times and it seems to hang. so before i try it again i want to backup the sd card to try to recover just incase
  2. what is the best way to ensure a backup? is it both amanda and the mirroing of the sd card?
    in this case i picked the setup sd mirroring. it does a mirror on a similar size card (so i assume i can just switch the cards now) but i cant tell if hte backup is setup on a schedule.
    3, what is the best practice for creating a stable home automation hub? use sd and a SSD of much bigger size as the backup? or use an SSD as a main drive and my nas as a backup?
  3. I want to monitor the temperature of the RPI incase there isn issue somewhere. what is the best way to bring it into the system. system info doesnt appear to have temp data.

Welcome

I am happy you are putting forth the effort to learn. We are here to help you build & understand your system. many users want us to configure it for them so they copy and are lost when it breaks.

I am not that experienced with the Pi and have my OH system in a virtual machine so I cannot help answer your questions. Since you mentioned openhabian-config I tagged this thread as openhabian to get more assistance.

1 Like

Question 1: It doesn’t replace the ethernet. You’ll have an additional network interface.
Question 3: You can read the temperature of your Raspi with

• the command “vcgencmd measure_temp”
    or
  • reading the file /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
    But you need to write a small script that you can call e.g. from a rule with

var String raspi_temp = executeCommandLine(Duration.ofSeconds(5), "/<vour_path>/getRaspiTemp.sh")

2 Likes

Read the docs more carefully please.

1 Like

@JensD hey ty for that. i kinda got that far, i.e. i can run the command in ssh, i was hopping there was a simple binding way but your point creates a new question.

if not how do i execute code like the one you mention? do i need the exec binding? or do i place it in a rule/scirpt? and what do i read to learn how to update a dial in habpanel + send myself a notification if it goes above a level :slight_smile:

it’s a built-in action you can use in rules, no need to install a binding :wink:
You can then assign the return value of the executeCommandLine to an Item which you can display in habpanel, e.g. RaspiTempItem.postUpdate(raspi_temp). Don’t forget to create a Number Item you can use for that.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it. Many of us run our RPis without fans and without issues (though I can’t say that no one has had issues). Don’t let that stop you if you just want to do it for the heck of it, though. :wink:

The bigger concern is power outages. If you don’t already have one, I recommend getting a UPS.

2 Likes

Hi @mstormi i did read the doc you mention - you made a couple of times (part of why i asked point 3). it isnt exactly clear for me that the trigger event you mention works . the main reason is that the instructions talk about 53 Setup SD monitoring but what i have in open hab in 53 is setup SD mirroring. So i was worried that it is an old document.

if it is a typo - i undersatnd that once every 6 months it updates the full thing and every day an incremental backup. but what does this mean - what will i loose betweent he 6month period? I also still dont understand the need for amanda here - is amanda prmarily for non rpi systems?

Then why didn’t you ask that? It obviously IS a typo, you would have just needed to read the full sentence or run the config tool.

It does not say backup, does it? It says rsync.
Backup is not sync. Backup is what Amanda does which is why you should use both.
As I said read the docs more carefully.

@mstormi i will ask next time, still trying to learn while i read. got your point.
but do consider that while you may know the difference between rsync and backup i am not there yet.
Thanks.

I do actually have a number of UPS in the house. they arent connected to the RPI yet but i will certainly see how i sort what you propose. thanks for taking the time

1 Like

So to answer my own questions for future generations

thanks to the people who took the time here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.