Beginners Question

Advantage of having a moderator on the thread. I bumped you up to member. There should be no more limits on the number of replies. You’ve proven you’re not a spam bot. :wink:

1 Like

I have switched all my lights over to be controlled by Shelly devices and am about to change my TRVs as well long term.
I am really satisfied with those devices.

Thanks rich !

Thanks hans-jorg - it looks good to me too!

Btw - using these shelly devices allows me to first do it the easy way with their cloud and gradually do some more stuff using the openhab bindings – and all openhab functionality ! Sounds interesting and challenging !

Only noticed that the 1 phase devices (shell em) seem to not be din rail attached devices … maybe i am mistaken here ? alternatively I could also use just one wire on a 3-phase device i guess…

Or use the Shelly Pro xPM (1PM / 2PM / 4PM). They’re din-rail and besides measuring can also be a switch.

I never use vendor clouds if local access is available. That‘s what I would recommend for Shelly‘s too.

ok thanks all for the replies – something to consider – also those pro devices seem interesting and a little cheaper since they are not ct clamp based (a little more install work to do)

Hi, i have openHAB up and running and i have been able to install some bindings for my Fritz Box, Hue, BMW and also Shelly and ModBus (for the latter 2 i have no devices yet).

Also started to get familiar with the tutorials

I still have 2 questions:

1. what happens when you stop the openHAB server for a while … will it backfill data from for example a Shelly 3EM so that you have the complete picture of all data elements in you persistent storage from the period that your server was down ?

2. lets assume i spend more time in getting familiar with the platform, bindings, install some devices etc — would openHAB in principle to allow me to create a dashboard where i can see graphics showing for example a time scale with electricity consumers / providers (watts) plotted with lines against time of day… and if the solar panels generate more than i consume it will be below a certain ‘0’ line and when i consume more (for example in nightly hours) i see the lines above the ‘0’ line etc — and be able to aggregate on minute / hour / weeh month etc etc — so to make long store short … is a lot possible mainly bound by ‘my own skills’ …

thx koen

1. No, if OH isn’t running the sensor readings that occurred while OH will usually be lost. Again, OH is not a data analysis platform, it’s a home automation platform. But that’s going to be the case for any system. If the client is down it can’t receive sensor readings and I know of few sensors that will queue up readings while a client is offline (at least in the home automation problem space). And ultimately that’s a problem that can only be solved by the sensor.

2. See Chart Pages | openHAB. There is a lot of customization possible but again OH is not a data analysis platform so it doesn’t provide a fully free formed set of customizations for charts. If you want that, you’ll probably want to use the third party Grafana software to generate your charts. Grafana provides a dashboard you can create, or you can show Grafana charts on the openHAB UI and build a dashboard there.

thx rich, getting there …

reg koen

just purchased my first shelly 3em (more to follow) and a p1/dsmr wifi gateway…

reg koen

Hi Koen,

I’m not in your league when it comes to energy management but I do monitor the energy for my hot tub!

I use a smart plug with power sensing features (About £10). Reflashed with Tasmota.
Tasmota publishes via MQTT:

• voltage
  • current
  • power
  • energy so far today
  • energy yesterday

I use the MQTT binding and ‘Things’ for each value I want and route them to ‘Items’.
Then I have a few CRON triggered ‘rules’ that run just after midnight each day to sample daily data and accumulate weekly and monthly totals.
I push all the data into an Influx database. Power and energy every 15 mins. The weekly and monthly totals are stored weekly and monthly.
I also log hot tub temperature and hot tub temperature demand (set point)
Then use Grafana to plot it all. Grafana is very powerfull and allows a huge range of data visualisation. Here is a few days of data from my hot tub just to show what Grafana can do

Hi ray, lookgs great !
Just received my shell 3em – gives me something todo in the weekend !

At first impressing i must say it looks a little “cheap” “light weighed” to me

but maybe i am wrong here

Being heavy is not always a sign of quality.

I’ve a Zwave clamp based energy meter and it too is pretty light. Adding in the two AA batteries for backup more than doubles the weight of the sensor. But it’s been working without problem for many years. It doesn’t take that much electronics to sense energy flow.

hi, yeah agree, it was just my 1st impression after opening the box … for a device measuring 3 phases, storing data and doing wifi etc … lets see how it all works out

It works fine. I was planning to install a few more to measure heat pump, electric car, grid but placement of these ct clmps is some kind of a challenge … also have a connection now with my p1 smart meter

It is a bit messy wiring imho compared to a few in-line wired modbus meters

Check out these guys. An open-source project for real-time monitoring of individual circuits (2 and 3 phases). They can differentiate between sources and sinks.

The forums have a number of people who’ve interfaced with Openhab.

I am doing the same, but luckily, I do not need all the hardware you need.
My Inverter delivers information about production, and about the overall consumption of my house due to the smartmeter connected.
Power consumption of wallbox comes by wifi and the power consumption of the heat pump comes from the heat pump directly via EBUS.
So it ended up as a small program with automatic car charging when there is enough power available from the roof to the (almost) exact Watt.

Hi thanks all, it is a nice challenge !

Also ordered an Eastron 3-phase SDM630 Modbus RS485 KWH meter (mid certified) to monitor what the car is consuming. I have a queion how to best connect tthat one but will open a new topic for that.

thanks all

@kdwykleingeld dont forget to head over to the widgets area of the forum. There’s a couple for power monitoring that include solar panels and even batteries and i can’t wait to try them out :smiley: