Best alternative for Raspberry sd card storage

Can anybody tell me, if I need to format the ssd before i can use it. I also read something about partitioning…

I have a ssd in a case out of the box and want to migrate my openhab to it…

Can anybody help me?

I have been using cheap Chinese 16gb SSD as boot drives for my Pis for a while now and they all worked straight out of the box. Just flash them with raspian, Openhabian or your image of choice with something like etcher and plug them in your Pi (3B+) with a sata to usb adapter and your good to go.
Johannes

Thank you!

I bought this case: Inateck Festplattengehäuse 2 5 Zoll USB 3.0, Externes HDD Gehäuse für 7 mm/ 9,5 mm 2,5" SATA HDD und SSD, Unterstützt UASP, Werkzeuglos (FE2013) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B075TXT3RZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kr-aDb86SD3X9
And this ssd: Intenso High Performance interne SSD 120GB (6,3 cm (2,5 Zoll), SATA III, 520 MB/Sekunden) schwarz https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01D3ACJPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7t-aDbMF5YAVT

Do i still need a sd card in the raspi?
I have an openhabianpi running on a sd on a Raspberry pi. My feeling is, the sd is failing slowly. It is running since 1.5 years almost.

I could set up the ssd with another pi i got here, but i do not want to buy another sd card.

It is a clean new setup on a new pi and ssd vs my old pi and the maybe corrupted sd migrating by a backup to the ssd.

Can you theoretically set up all devices (hue, mqtt, xiaomi, zwave) on a second openhabian system parallely? Or are they, when they got paired with my first setup only usable with this one? I could then setup the clean pi with ssd from scratch with having my old system running temporarily till its all setup again.

Whats your advice?

Depends on which RPi you are running on. If it’s an RPi 3 then no, it can boot straight from the external drive. If it’s any other version of the RPi then no, you still need the SD card to boot.

It depends on the technology. MQTT is not problem. Hue with a Hue Hub is probably no problem. But zwave devices are paired with the physical Zwave controller and that can only be used on one machine at a time.

I got a raspberry pi 3 b i think. Actually i have two. One with my current openhab instance on sd and the new one will be on ssd. I just flashed the ssd with etcher.

So i will plug it in the pi now and it will do its magic? How do i boot from the usb drive?

My fear is, that once its all up, that it conflicts with my current openhab instance openhabianpi:8080 is used to access my current one, how can I cange that with the new pi? Iniatially it will have the same port i guess… am I right?

EDIT:
the ssd does not power up on the new pi. It lights up on the old one though…
do i maybe have to do an installation via an sd card first on the new pi and then activate the ssd? I am confused.

Hmm, on a pi 3b+ I didn’t use an SD card at all. I burned the image with edger plugged the ssd into the pi and it booted after a second or two. I would only plug in the ssd for booting as I had problems when some other usb accessories were plugged in. Which Pi version do you have?

Just had a read again here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md
The booting from ssd straight out of the box only works for the newer plus models. If your Pi is the original 3 it’s still possible but you need to follow their instructions over there to prepare the pi for usb booting.
Johannes

Hi Johannes,

thanks for the manual. Here is what i did so far. Openhabian is not up and running yet by the way.

I copied noobs on a sd card, put it in my pi 3b and followed the instructions for instaling rasbpian on the sd card. I did that, and then i followed the instructions to get it booted by the ssd (where i have the openhabian image on). I shut the pi down, took the sd card out, and powered off and on the pi. Then i kept pressing th power button on my ssd (i think that i have to do that sucks, should have picked an aways on case), and the ssd now lights up. So I hope now, that i made it boot from the ssd since its now powered up what wasnt working before. I will wait now a couple hours (?) if openhabian does the magic. We will see in the morning…

Not directly an answer to your question, but what worked for me as an economical solution to avoid the use of micro sd cards is using a tinkerboard s with on-board emcc memory. I run openhabian on top of armbian and my openhab system benifits a lot from the larger memory and the faster processor. Board fits in the same raspberry 3 housing and my crashes due to low memory are history.

1 Like