Best motion sensor?

I have been using Vision motion sensor successfully for a couple of months.

It looks exactly identical to the Amazon product you linked.

I use the RFXCOM paired up with cheap 433mhz motion sensors from eBay. They run about 6 dollars each. There range is superb, response time is very fast. Most only report a tripped signal so using the expire binding I have them reset after 15s. If they receive the tripped signal again it resets the 15 second timer. I have Kerui sensors as well, although the binding doesnā€™t know what the received command is, it is easy to figure out by watching the logs. I have found that the RFXCOM works well and for a 1 time investment of around 100 dollars for the transceiver, you can get the sensors for cheap. So for the cost 3 zwave motion sensors you could have 3 433mhz motion sensors and be ready to expand. Plus there are plenty other 433mhz stuff out there. I do use the AEON Labs Multisensor 6 if I need Temp, Humidityā€¦

How is it zwave or zigbee, do you need to ask for the status every 1s or so, or does it work like mqtt that it publishes to the gatway when there is a change and that Oh does not need to ask the gatway every 1s for it status?

I am using hue motion sensor now with refresh interval of 1.5s, but this is to slow for me, anything below 0.5s would acceptable, so any tips to wich door and motion sensor that can do this would be awesome.

It is neither zwave nor zigbee. The RFXCOM binding will register any change and the response time is milliseconds. I use the following motion sensors. RFXCOM receives the number 2 for tripped, and I have the expire binding return it to 0 after 15 seconds.

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback.
Iā€™m currently inclined to go for the Multisensor 6, since battery power issues seem to be addressed in the latest firmware, and the other proposals are not flush (ceiling) mounted solutions.

It looks nice, but what response time does it have?

It looks nice, but what response time does it have?

Well, I donā€™t have exact numbers, but response time is not many milli seconds. If I enter the room, where lights are controlled by the Multisensor 6, lights are ON normally before I take a second step. My lights are not z-wave based, so multi sensor send command to openhab, where rule is executed which then control the light. Most of my multisensors are directly below the controller, so there is no routing needed.

@chris probably knows better which is ā€œnormalā€ network delay in z-wave networks. Of course it depends when device recognise the movement as battery device is most probably on sleep mode most of the time.

Assuming thereā€™s not a lot happening (ie youā€™re not initialising the system - just normal activity) then most 2 way transactions take a few tens of milliseconds (letā€™s say normally less than 40ms). If the device is further out in the mesh (ie it has to repeat through a few routers) then you could expect it to be something like 20ms for each hop (thatā€™s a bit of a guess though). So, Iā€™d expect a ā€œnormalā€ network delay well under 100ms in most cases.

I wouldnā€™t expect this to be a big driver. Most devices do sleep, but the sensors should be active, and itā€™s the microcontroller, radios etc that are powered down. When the sensor sensors movement, it wakes up the microcontroller which in turn will wake up the radio and any other circuitry it needs.

can you explain which gateway / bridge will be required for this?

I use the RFXCOM paired up with cheap 433mhz motion sensors from eBay.

I assume you are using the RFXtrx433E? Is so, what protocol do your PIR sensors use?
Have you any idea how long the battery lasts?

Thanks.

Yes the RFXtrx433E is what I am using but I am tinkering with a RFLINK. I have had a few of the sensors for over a year and havenā€™t changed the batteries. They use a Lighting4 or 5 protocol depending on the jumper settings. The downside to this is that it doesnā€™t report battery level, but it is only 2 AAA batteries a year. The RFLINK can be built for under 20 dollars vice the 100+ for the RFXCOM, depending on where you buy the stuff from. There is no binding but the serial binding can be used to interface with it and send and receive signals. The RFLINK is slightly more difficult to get started but once you have 1 sensor working it is just copy and paste.

Iā€™ve already got a RFXtrx433E for window shutters and other things but although it can cope with a large range of RF protocols, it can not cope with them all at the same time - hence the question about which protocol they use.
Iā€™ve got Lighting4 enabled so I should be good to go!

Are there any sensors that let me connect a light directy plus trigger a signal in any typical frequency that I can use in openhab?

Iā€™d like to avoid the roundtrip but still be able to catch the signal.

@pauli_anttila, as you seem to be M6 addict, you must know:) So far I have just a single M6. Absolutely love itā€™s form factor and build, etc. Working more or less fine for motion (I have a feeling it is little lagā€™ish to switch on the light, but have not done enough debugging yet, might be some rule or config issue either).

What I have not managed yet - to get temperature or humidity updates when they change by the set threshold, not on the pre-set frequency. Mine is running on batteries - I wonder, shall it be possible when battery powered and Iā€™m just missing right config or itā€™s not there by design? Is it maybe something you have in any of your scenarios? Thank you in advance for sharing!:slight_smile:

Hereā€™s a helpful Z-Wave motion sensor review and comparison.

1 Like