Best Z-Wave Stick for OpenHab

That is bad news.

Well the current binding is brilliant unless you desperately need S2 security.

One thing in general.

Putting your UZB of any flavour on a short extension cable and trying different orientations might improve range a little if you are here because you have issues with range.

1 Like

Just to chime in, I too have an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5. It works fine, but not if plugged directly into a Pi4 - I had to plug it in via a cheap hub (I used a Hama Multiquad 1:4 Bus Powered hub). I can’t remember the exact details of why, it something to do with different interpretation of USB standards, I think.

I wouldn’t regard myself as a heavy user, but so far it’s been perfectly fine (and is located in a fairly empty, metal 19" cabinet - a couple of doors and walls away from any actual z-wave devices it talks to). If it wasn’t in a cabinet, I’d probably cover it in tape so I don’t have to look at the funky colour changing lights on it, but it’s hidden away so I don’t really care.

I’m not sure how things are working, or how they’re supposed to work, but when I completely reformatted my pi and re-installed OH, once I re-enabled the binding, it seemed to already be paired to a my devices.

1 Like

That stick is seen as USB3 on newer USB3 ports. Aeotec release a new stick without this flaw.

1 Like

Knowledge of paired devices is kept on the controller itself. The binding reads those off of the controller to populate the Inbox with Things. But then it needs to interrogate the devices to figure out what they are which is why we need to wake up battery powered devices.

2 Likes

Is this stick available from Digikey the one you are referring to?
Also available here from Mouser
Man, they are cheap, I might just order one to check out

1 Like

That is it. Just make sure you get the one for your area.

1 Like

yeah… was wondering that, I’m in the US and I’m guessing the ACC-UZB3-U-STA is for the US market and the ACC-UZB3-E-STA is for Europe

1 Like

Yes U is for US and E is europe.

2 Likes

Also double check when you get it. When I ordered (from Digikey I think) I initially got the wrong one but they told me to keep it and sent the proper one.

2 Likes

In Canada, the 700 UZB-7 version is even cheaper on Digikey than the UZB-3 ($30 versus $37). Interesting that the “new” version would be less expensive. Too bad it doesn’t work with openHAB at this time (not that I need another Z-Wave controller).

2 Likes

In the US Zooz had their 509 series controllers on sale and had no stock of their 700 series.

1 Like

You can order the aeotec-equipment here: https://popp.to/

If you do accidently get the bridge controller rather than the static you can flash to the static controller.

1 Like

If I recall correctly I got a Japan frequency controller.

1 Like

That would have been interesting

1 Like

The spec sheet for the Silicon Labs UZB-7 says it exposes the well-documented and proven Z-Wave Serial API via USB. What do you think it means there?

1 Like

It is wrong :slight_smile:. This is either an old statement carried over from he 500 series sticks, or a forward looking statement that one day it will again be available (potentially soon).

Currently the API is not documented. The old serial API was documented (publicly) but was removed around 18 months ago when the policy was that it would be deprecated and all solutions must use ZIP. More recently this policy has changed and it will be possible to use the serial API again but as far as I’m aware it’s not currently released. It was meant to be released late last year, but wasn’t.

2 Likes

For those who use the Z-Stick Gen5 or Gen5+…do you have any experience how long it lasts? Has it ever failed somehow for you?

Nope, currently OH is failing earlier :slight_smile: . So the stick (Gen5) runs since this December 2020 without any issues with a RasPI 3+

1 Like