Best Z-Wave Stick for OpenHab

Yes U is for US and E is europe.

2 Likes

Also double check when you get it. When I ordered (from Digikey I think) I initially got the wrong one but they told me to keep it and sent the proper one.

2 Likes

In Canada, the 700 UZB-7 version is even cheaper on Digikey than the UZB-3 ($30 versus $37). Interesting that the ā€œnewā€ version would be less expensive. Too bad it doesnā€™t work with openHAB at this time (not that I need another Z-Wave controller).

2 Likes

In the US Zooz had their 509 series controllers on sale and had no stock of their 700 series.

1 Like

You can order the aeotec-equipment here: https://popp.to/

If you do accidently get the bridge controller rather than the static you can flash to the static controller.

1 Like

If I recall correctly I got a Japan frequency controller.

1 Like

That would have been interesting

1 Like

The spec sheet for the Silicon Labs UZB-7 says it exposes the well-documented and proven Z-Wave Serial API via USB. What do you think it means there?

1 Like

It is wrong :slight_smile:. This is either an old statement carried over from he 500 series sticks, or a forward looking statement that one day it will again be available (potentially soon).

Currently the API is not documented. The old serial API was documented (publicly) but was removed around 18 months ago when the policy was that it would be deprecated and all solutions must use ZIP. More recently this policy has changed and it will be possible to use the serial API again but as far as Iā€™m aware itā€™s not currently released. It was meant to be released late last year, but wasnā€™t.

2 Likes

For those who use the Z-Stick Gen5 or Gen5+ā€¦do you have any experience how long it lasts? Has it ever failed somehow for you?

Nope, currently OH is failing earlier :slight_smile: . So the stick (Gen5) runs since this December 2020 without any issues with a RasPI 3+

1 Like

Iā€™m using openHAB with a RaZberry2 + Pi2B, 22 zwave devices are connected. I had a lot of trouble with the pairing of battery powered devices, especially the Aeotec Door/Window 7 drove me crazy. I added 9 Rollershutter from Fibaro in security mode without any problems. But rule commands to close all or open all blinds were not always received from the FGR-223. Every day some of them kept open or close. I programmed time delays to start them in sequence but it didnā€™t help. So I removed all of them and paired them non secured. Now they do what they should do in 99%. Once in a month one of them stays open or close. No idea if the RaZberry2 is responsable for that or something else but this is my experience with that controller.
Advantage of the small device is that it fits perfectly to the Pi housing.

1 Like

I recall one of Chris/Bruce recommending that secure inclusion only be used for items that really need it (e.g. door locks), since thereā€™s increased network traffic. So if you were communicating with nine of them at once, I could see some issues.

This is correct. I didnā€™t expect so much traffic. I looked at the debug log and I was really suprised about the huge amount of data exchange. I thought if they are made for security inclusion then they should be able to handle it, obviously it is not like that. However, as mentioned in my post, some commands are still lost from the controller to the devices, albeit very rarely.

Do you have any Zombie nodes, That can mess up routing & cause delays or lost traffic.

hi
I just tried to look up some threads for most recent infos on some zwave topics but they are all some monts olds.
Am I right that

• SmartStart
  • S2 Security
  • 700 Series Dongles

are not yet supported by the binding?

cheers

As far as I am aware, nothing has changed in binding support.

Attaching a PDF that might help move the ball:

Z-Wave and Z-Wave Long Range 700
SDK 7.16.0.0 Pre-Certified GA Gecko SDK Suite 3.2
June 16, 2021
SRN14748-7.16.0.0.pdf (129.5 KB)
ā€œThis release contains the followingā€

• Z Wave Plus V2 Application Framework
  • Z-Wave Certified Applications for a broad range of smart home applications
  • Z-Wave Protocol and Serial API Applications

Iā€™m using the Zooz ZST10 700 with OH 3.0.2 and while I can add it as a bridge and add devices those devices show up as ā€œunknown deviceā€ though it is listed in the supported device database.

700 Series controllers do not work with the OH binding.