Bigassfan (Haiku) no longer working with new firmware

I thought I post here before creating a github issue.
I’ve upgraded the firmware of my two Haiku fans as suggested by the app so I could use the new app.
The new firmware does not seem to be compatibel with the binding any longer.
There was absolutely no warning that the firmware upgrade may break anything, so think twice before you go down that path.
I’ll try to downgrade my fans. Will post progress if anybody is interested.

I couldn’t find any additional information on the bigassfans website.
The only information I could find was issued in the home-assistant github page:

Question to the developers of the binding: what’s the right way forward? Shall I create an issue in github?

Ouch. That really sucks.

Most integrations I’m aware of (including my own for openHAB) reverse engineered the SenseMe protocol. I also found the company very unresponsive when I contacted them for information about the SenseMe protocol. For those reasons I expect it would be highly unlikely that Haiku would be interested in providing any information about the new protocol.

As I see it right now, the only way forward would be to try to reverse engineer the new protocol. Unfortunately, I don’t have any time to do that. Maybe more importantly, I don’t want to upgrade any of my fans for fear that the protocol is not easily reverse engineered.

I would be interested to know if you find a way to downgrade the firmware.

FYI, I submitted a PR to add a warning to the documentation.

You can downgrade the fan’s firmware following the steps in this comment Haiku SenseMe integration is not compatible with new firmware · Issue #69370 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Also in that thread, it looks like they were able to figure out the new protocol is using protobuff Haiku SenseMe integration is not compatible with new firmware · Issue #69370 · home-assistant/core · GitHub I’m not sure if their changes are easily transferable to your implementation for openhab.

Thanks for the info!

Definitely not easily transferable.

Got the same information from the bigassfan support (they actually responded within hours). Downgrading the firmware does the trick but that’s not really a sustainable solution.
I’ll ask them if there is any way they would open their API. You can always dream :wink:
Update: it was a dream, they are not disclosing their API. A pity.