Binding For Brutlech GEM Whole-home Energy Monitor?

Did you try to start btmon with something along the line of;

/usr/bin/python /etc/btmon/btmon3.py --debug --print -c /etc/btmon/gem.cfg

(to give possibly more output info)?

Apparantly it was a bug in btmon. Ben (Brultech) has updated btmon on github, now it works.

This has been a really helpful thread! I was pretty quickly able to get data from my 2x ECM-1240’s via EtherX - all of which I’ve had for around 10 years or so, 5 of which have they’ve been sitting mostly dormant.

Just curious though what sort of sample periods everyone is using for most effective results?

I’ve tried combinations of client/server mode, IP poll intervals shorter/longer than MQTT publish intervals, configure ECM devices to push realtime or not, and there’s always something that’s a bit weird. Or maybe I’m letting my OCD take over and it’s nothing to worry about.

I’m trying to get data capture in intervals of ~1m, but I can’t get any real consistency, which looks weird when looking at the delta figures. So if I have a circuit using a relatively constant amount of energy, but the polling is 55s, 54s, 58s, 1s, 52s, 98s, the “delta since last sample” graph looks very zig zaggy.

Often I’ll get multiple samples within milliseconds, so the delta value is at, or very close to, zero.

Publishing the data to a SQL database it’s pretty straightforward to flatten in it - obviously the longer the target period is the flatter it’ll look. But I’d prefer to start with as consistent polling periods as possible.