Binding request: Growatt Server

Hmm interesting I haven’t seen this before. I assume you use Proxy mode?

It seems that 2 records are sent to grott. Are there any other records in between on the log?

A record T055104 should be encrypted. So why there is a uncrypted one I do not understand. It seems to be read direct from the network socket. Very weird.

Hi Johan,

I am indeed using proxy mode.
Not sure if you see the same, but right now I don’t receive any data records and I wonder if that is because the sun is down.
I will run a few more tests tomorrow as I observed that the behavior was different when I switched off MQTT.

Regards,

–Simon

Hello Johan,

I enabled MQTT, sending the data to a local MQTT server. So far I have not observed the problem anymore.
I also had another issue yesterday, but I am not sure how much this is related.
My router was showing weird behavior during testing of Grott.
I configured my network for fixed IP addresses using the DHCP server in the router itself, based on the devices MAC address.
My openhab system sometimes lost it IP address which was set to a completely wrong number. Rebooting the board didn’t fix it, it always has the address set by default on the raspberry linux when it doesn’t receive an IP number from the DHCP server.
Only rebooting the router solved the problem.
It looks as if the internal router tables are getting confused by the messages from Grott when this is configured wrongly.
Overnight I changed the Shinelan device to go straight to Growatt and I didn’t observe the issue.
I now routed this back to my Grott server and will keep a close eye if this happens again.

Did you see this as well in a, possibly, wrongly configured system?

Regards,

–Simon

Indeed in the evening the inverter will not sent any information.

I will try it without mqtt connection. Maybe I can recreate your issue.

My raspberry PI also has a fixed IP address defined in the router.

The growatt inverter gets an dynamic address from the dhcp server in the router.

At night the inverter is not powered (uses solar energy) and I can not configure the shinewifi then.

I have tested with MQTT enabled and no server available and al other things disabled (PVOoutput and Influx) to see if I can recreate your double record problem. But everything still works fine.

I might be a polluted netwerk setup indeed . Hopefully the router restart helped.

I have seen it before and I have not get the feedback from others that they had the same problems.

If it reoccurs it might by an idea to open an issue on Github. Maybe we can get feedback from others users as wll.

Hi Johan,

The SW has been running all day without any issue, while still providing the Solar readings in OpenHab and forwarding all the messages to the Growatt server. I checked the latter with my Shine app.

The problem appeared while I had a MQTT server, but I had set the MQTT authorization “auth” set to False, while it should be set to True.

I will keep a close eye on the system and will inform you when I see the problem again.
Thanks anyway for the investigation.

Regards,

–Simon

Hello Johan,

I had the same issue again today.
My system was running grott from the command shell and I accidentally pressed ^C in order to copy some text.
This off course stopped the program and as a result, my Openhab IP address was gone into oblivion.
I couldn’t check the actual IP number as I don’t have a screen or keyboard connected.

I wonder if this is an issue with the Shinelink device instead of your code.

Regards,

–Simon

Hi everyone, I just found this thread, because I was looking for a Growatt binding. Is there some kind of “how to for idiots”? I just started using openHAB 3 on a rpi 4 and I have no idea how to install Grott.

1 Like

like @TurboMOD i am looking into a solar inverter and come to openhab to see which inverter option i am provided has openhab support and now I have landed on growatt after i saw this thread.
I am on OH3.1 and have quite a bit running on it (Legrand Myhome automation, Xiaomi, TPlinks, Heos etc).
I saw there is a need for MQTT (which i know nothing about :slight_smile: and OH2. Is there a simple binding that works on OH3 one can install simply to read the current power output generation to enable triggering of rules and actions?

Happy to contribute towards that

@espresso I got it running on OH3. maybe you find more information on how to install here: https://github.com/johanmeijer/grott/issues/72

1 Like

This is great @TurboMOD thank you for the info, once I have it installed I’ll get working on it and will try to put a guide if feasible and share back.
Thank you again

Hey - Just thought I would share my very basic solution for this using a docker container GitHub - shaunscott12/growattOpenhabConnector: dockerfile to connect openhab to a basic API to read your power usage from the growatt solar panel portal

When I was searching for a way to integrate my Growatt to openHab, I found this project, very easy with good explanation including video, I build and had it up and running within a few hours, it have now run for 7 month without any issue. GitHub - nygma2004/growatt2mqtt: Growatt Solar Inverter Modbus Data to MQTT Gateway

Hello Scott. I use openhab quite normally on an rpi. No docker. Can you explain how I can use your version without Docker? Or am I misunderstanding something. Thank you and best regards, markus.

Should be fine to use it without docker - you would just need to install python, pip and the libraries mentioned in the dockerfile

Hello,
my attempts with Grott have all been unsuccessful. This can also be due to the changed communication from Growatt. In any case, my Shine-X WLAN adapter changes the IP and the port when it is restarted every day.
On my further search I found what I was looking for at NodeRed. The extension “node-red-contrib-growatt” handles the connection. Now just transfer the data in MQTT variables.

Regarding the IP a question:
Did you try setting a fixed IP within your DHCP-Server (guess it is your router)? This should prevent the change of the IP.

ip in wlan is still the same; ip from the growatt server changes every day;

setup for data update < 5min was tricky and solved too;

but the solution with node-red wirks fine

Ah, OK, thought this was the local one. Sorry.