I’m new to openHAB and I’d like to contribute to this great project by offering my thoughts and solutions for accessing a Synology Surveillance Station via openHAB.
I have implemented (or put together from other sources) two different ways, both using Synology API, and I would be glad to hear your suggestions and thoughts on this matter. If you’re interested, I can also give you more detailed description or upload my files on GitHub. Please be kind to me, if there already is a better solution
First and easy way for the users of HABPanel only is a creating of an Image item linked to an URL. This URL points at a php script running on Synology Web Station. The script then connects to Synology API and delivers a camera snapshot.
- Script runs only if HABPanel is open, greatly reducing server load
- Script is easy and foolproof
- Limited to HABPanel, not controllable and thus not “Smart”
Second way: I’ve created a Synology Surveillance Station Binding, which binds a camera through API and as of now offers following channels: current snapshot as IMAGE, automatic refresh yes/no as SWITCH and refresh rate in seconds as DECIMAL. Fully configurable and even controllable with PaperUI.
- using full openHAB functionality: persistence, rules etc. (e.g. trigger snapshot on alarm and so on)
- potentially allowing even more control of IP camera by binding additional Surveillance Station API functions
- higher server load in automatic refresh mode (24/7); without automatic refresh requires custom HABPanel widget
- error prone, as I’m new to this project (I had already to find out how to uninstall a binding with Karaf console ) and have but limited time available
As I’ve said, I’d like to hear if there is still need, as well as your feedback and your thoughts on this.