Bitron Video ZigBee USB Funkstick stops working after a while

Fresh install OH 2.5M2. Zigbe failed at 22:44.
Logs
events.log (41.4 KB) openhab.log (15.3 KB) zigbee.log.1.zip.log (632.3 KB) zigbee.log.zip.log (195.6 KB) zwave.log.zip.log (106.9 KB)

Versions installed

211 │ Active │  80 │ 1.2.1                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
212 │ Active │  80 │ 1.2.1                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.cc2531
213 │ Active │  80 │ 1.2.1                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember
214 │ Active │  80 │ 1.2.1                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.telegesis
215 │ Active │  80 │ 1.2.1                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.xbee
216 │ Active │  80 │ 3.3.0                 │ Commons Net
217 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZigBee Binding
218 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZigBee CC2531 Bridge
219 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZigBee Ember Bridge
220 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZigBee Telegesis Bridge
221 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZigBee XBee Bridge
222 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Configuration USB-Serial Discovery
223 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Configuration USB-Serial Discovery for Linux using sysfs scanning
224 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Configuration Serial
225 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Serial Transport
226 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Serial Transport for RXTX
227 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Serial Transport for RFC2217
228 │ Active │  80 │ 2.5.0.M2              │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZWave Binding

Hope this helps!

This is the same error seen earlier -:

2019-08-12 22:44:15.658 [DEBUG] [e.ember.internal.ash.AshFrameHandler] - ASH: ERROR received (code 81).

This is caused by an issue in the dongle - possibly caused by it getting out of sync with the communications with the computer. There is no way to recover from this other than to reset the NCP.

The binding should attempt to restart the connection, and it does try to do this, but it gets an error opening the port -;

2019-08-12 22:44:17.775 [DEBUG] [ding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeSerialPort] - Connecting to serial port [/dev/ttyUSB0] at 57600 baud, flow control FLOWCONTROL_OUT_XONOFF.
2019-08-12 22:44:17.777 [ERROR] [ding.zigbee.handler.ZigBeeSerialPort] - Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyUSB0 does not exist.
2019-08-12 22:44:17.778 [ERROR] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - Unable to open Ember serial port

I’ve no idea why the port is unavailable.

Thanks a lot for taking a look at it again.

Oh well, then I guess I should return this dongle and try with another one, any recommendation that is known to work well with the Raspberry Pi?

These devices should work fine. I don’t know why the USB port isn’t opening in this case, but it may not be the dongles issue.

Then I could probably troubleshoot the RPI3, any idea on where to start?

Not really (sorry) - I’m not a Pi user or Linux expert myself. Personally, I would start with Googling on the forum about issues with Pi USB ports - otherwise a more general search.

No worries, I’ve found a troubleshooting guide for USB in RPI that might be useful, I’ll give it a try and post any findings.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53832

If anyone has suggestions they are are more than welcome.

Thanks - I’m not so sure about this specific issue, but in general USB/Serial issues are one of the the most common problems getting bindings working.

1 Like

I’ve found nothing so far… no errors during boot, doesn’t seem to use too much energy, nothing the linux logs around the time of failure that could give me any clue…
Unplug and plug the dongle doesn’t seem to work but restarting the system usually does.
Now I’m testing having just the Zigbee dongle connected, nothing else but the first attempt didn’t go well, it just didn’t get online. I’ll leave it all night and see what happens.

So I finally accepted that it won’t work and asked for a refund (still fighting with the vendor) and bought a telegesis that it’s not working either, I’m gonna cry :cry:

Have you ruled out a usb-power issue? Have you tried increasing the usb power limit from 600mA to a total of 1200mA?

If not:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Put the following line in:

max_usb_current=1

Sure: it requires, that you have a strong power supply which is capable of delivering sufficient power to the Pi (not just a phone charger).

Sorry for the noise if you have tried this already. :wink:

1 Like

I just tried increasing the power as you suggested and it didn’t work but thanks for the tip.

Hi,

I have a very similar issue.
i am running on:

• RPI 3B
  • OH 2.5.1-2
  • Bitronvideo

The dongle is “lost” after a while, however approx once a month “only” and setting it disabled/enabled via the UI helps to recover the situation.

It would be great if a rule could do that, but I am afraid am not that expert. Perhaps i can manage a rule that sends me a mail.

What does “lost” actually mean?

Do what exactly? I’m not sure if this is a binding issue you are reporting, or maybe it’s a RPi problem?

Sadly I have no screenshot and log in hand (log does not show it anymore) so I cannot tell precisely. I will collect them next time.
It was something like communication error on the dongle. The dongle status in paperui was grayed out and the related Zigbee nodes as well.

A rule could dis/enable the dongle as this step was always resolving the issue in my environment.

Ps.: Recently upgraded to the latest stable OH.

Update: @chris in the log I can see this
ASH: ERROR received (code 81). Disconnecting.

Would you need the full log or only a slice of it (if so, what time range before after the event)?
Is a regular log enough or should I set something to debug level? If yes, what exactly?

I’m fairly certain this isn’t related to general undervoltage or the like, as this behaviour is also apparent with my Intel NUC.

It might be related to USB power saving, but since the ember coordinator is also listed as “state UNKNOWN”, I’d wager it’s some kind of communication issue.

Hi,
This is a pretty old thread - can you explain what issue you are having, and what versions of bindings etc you are using. I’m not sure what your reference about undervoltage is as you’ve not referenced a previous comment…

Sorry - but it’s very difficult to help you with no information on the problem you’re having.

Chris

I would be happy to get that far. How did you get the bitron stick show as USB tty? I see it in lsusb but get no device for it.

As per my response to the other thread you posted, please check out the documentation as this device may require additional configuration to be recognised.

Yes. If anyone stumbles over this. The documentation explicitly says what to do to make the bitron video stick appear.