Bluetooth binding problem

I am experiencing a problem with the bluetooth binding…
I have created a ble device using an Arduino nano 33 iot, it has two (custom) services each providing a single charatcteristic of type analog (0x2A58). I connect to it using “nRF Connect” on my android phone and I can read and write each of the characteristics with no problem. I connect to it using hcitool and gatttool on a raspberry pi 4 and can read and write each of the characteristics with no problem. On the same raspberry pi 4 with openHAB 3.1.0 I have two items of type number linked to each of the characteristics, updating the value of the number item linked to the first characteristic updates the first characteristic, however updating the number item linked to the second characteristic actually updates the first characteristic on the arduino! Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have rebuilt the raspberry pi from scratch but still have the problem. I have a sitemap with only two setpoint entries that reference two items in an items file (they are the only items defined in the system) and these are linked to the arduino thing channels. I can post the sitemap and items files if required but they are so simple and have been recreated a number of times I’m 100% certain these files are not the problem. I can perform some more tests and post the bluetooth log entries if required. If anyone can help shed light on this problem I would be grateful.