Breaking changes in 3.2?

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of upgrading from 3.1.1 to 3.2.0 when it is available on stable repro.
Are there any breaking changes which I have to consider when upgrading to 3.2.0 stable?

Thank you in advance.

You’d refer to 3.2 release notes, which will be available on release. Keep an eye on the Announcements section.

Thank you.
You mean here?
https://community.openhab.org/c/announcements/8

But do you know right now, if breaking changes are present in the milestones right now?

My crystal ball is inoperative. Have you read the thread above to see if anyone has encountered breaking changes along the way?

Yes I read it, but didn’t found. Also no Breaking Changes are named in the Milestone Release notes.

So it look’s like anyone can update to 3.2.0 from 3.1.1 without having probs?

Great to hear!

No one can guarantee anything. Rarely are user facing breaking changes in a point release (e.g. 3.1 to 3.2) included (NOTE: a breaking change is a change to OH that the developers are aware will cause the users to have to change their config, changes that inadvertently introduce a problem is a regression).

However, there are lots and lots of parts that make up OH. We can’t guarantee that some add-on you are using hasn’t change what it does or you have a unique combination of add-ons installed that uncovers some unknown regression or that a change was made that does break something in that unique configuration.

No one can guarantee that your upgrade process will be simple and painless. The likelihood that you encounter a problem is low but not zero. And any release of OH, from SNAPSHOTS to the release can have regressions which, by definition, are unintended.

2 Likes

Thank you, that is worthful. As I’m not using too much addons I hope the upgrade will work.
Are HABPANEL and SITEMAPS still working in 3.2.0?
And is it still possible to make configuration with files (.items, .rules, .sitemap) ?

Thanks in advance

Those would be pretty big breaking changes.

The definition of a breaking change is changing how a feature works in the older version in the newer version of removing a feature entirely. Removing a feature like that would be a pretty big breaking change.

But you can always try it out for yourself. 3.2 release is not going to be significantly different from 3.2. M5.

So HABPANEL and SITEMAPS will still work in 3.2.0?
And it is still possible to make configuration with files (.items, .rules, .sitemap) ?

Let me connect the dots.

• There are no breaking changes announced for OH 3.2
  • Removal of HABPanel, Sitemaps, and configuring stuff in text files would be huge breaking changes
  • Therefore HABPanel, Sitemaps and configuring stuff in text files still exist in 3.2

It’s not hard logic.

3 Likes

Thank you for explaining. So I’m looking forward to 3.2.0

Thank’s that are really worthful informations.

In the future, please mind my post just 2 posts before yours in the milestone thread.
This is why I’ve moved this conversation to your own thread.

1 Like

The less addons you use the chance of a breaking change is lower.

There should be some in the 3.2 Stable release notes, however they don’t seem to get listed in the milestone notes, so I’m not confident they will get listed in the stable notes. Github search shows three labelled as potential breaking changes for addons. Bottom line is do not upgrade unless you have at least half a day spare to mop up any issues that may occur and it should be a smooth process as everyone has already done the testing on the milestone builds and the forum will have an answer for any issues if you search. Click this link and if these addons are not in use, then it should be less painful if not perfectly smooth.

Pull requests · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub

Also this list has the breaking changes noted between different versions.
openhab-distro/update.lst at main · openhab/openhab-distro (github.com)

It is worth using for the new marketplace to make widget installing easier and the new rule templates to check out. New bindings and many bug fixes and improvements from the past 6 months.

2 Likes

Just tried upgrading from 3.1.1 to 3.2 using openhabian-config with major problems. I was looking around if others already reported this, but didn’t find anything. I get a warning that the directory for OH is wrong (/var/lib/openhab2) and then on restart I see:

2021-12-20 15:13:21.419 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-persistence-mapdb, openhab-persistence-rrd4j, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-mail, openhab-binding-openweathermap, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-transformation-javascript, openhab-binding-systeminfo, openhab-binding-zwave’: null

and a completely unusable installation. Has this been observed by others too ? In case, shall I open a new ticket for this ? I wasn’t able yet to debug the problem more, I am afraid.

PS: same after reinstalling OH3.1 from backup and trying to install OH3.2 with this version.

PPS: after another restart, some of the error messages are gone, but the system is looping on the loading of config files and the initial steps of the startup, then it stops the UI and starts over. I think for now I will revert to OH 3.1 (with log4j hotfix) and try again after x-mas.

Yes, it would be wrong for OH3.x. Is this a previously upgraded installation?

Yes, this version was updated 2 months ago from OH2.5 to OH3.1 (I was waiting for the first major release update before moving). I do get other openhabian-config errors for OH2 related errors, like it complaining about not having /var/log/openhab2 when using the config tool to fix the permissions. The upgrade from OH3.1 to OH3.1.1 worked without problems.

Similar, frontail re-install points at openhab2, I needed to manually fix /etc/systemd/system/frontail.service to point at openhab with OH3.

Btw, the version of the tool seems rather old: [stable]patchday-20210119-1120(56d842c) , is this correct ?