[BTicino/OpenWebNet] New openHAB2 binding ready for testing

Hello
Yes, unfortunately, mine is an older version.
By the way, does someone know if it is possible to update the USB dongle firmware?
I googled a bit but did not find any procedure.
(sorry if off topic).

no, there is no update possible, I even contacted BTicino and they confirmed upgrade is not possible.

First, thank you for your hard work! Recently migrated to OH3 (docker latest version, all fine; lights and shutters).
3 questions:

1. getting log entries every 2 minutes (log level set to DEBUG but not more infos available)
warn msg

2021-01-03 16:36:22.765 [WARN ] [nwebnet4j.communication.BUSConnector] - ##BUS-conn## Exception: Received null frame while reading responses to command
2021-01-03 16:36:22.767 [WARN ] [nwebnet4j.communication.BUSConnector] - ##BUS-conn## trying NEW CMD connection…

Something to be concerned about?

1. After a reboot all things are “Unknown” although persistence is installed. Things going online if they are triggered.

2. Shutter state are always “UNDEF” even if they were moved up and down. Would be nice if last state is saved

2 and 3 probably have nothing to do with OH3 binding, sorry I’m still new to OH…

Best regards

i see the same:

2021-01-03 18:53:39.004 [WARN ] [nwebnet4j.communication.BUSConnector] - ##BUS-conn## Exception: Received null frame while reading responses to command

2021-01-03 18:53:39.255 [WARN ] [nwebnet4j.communication.BUSConnector] - ##BUS-conn## trying NEW CMD connection...

i thought this could appear because i run oh3 on a test-raspi and parallel oh2.5 on another raspi, but now i disabled the oh2.5 binding and the warning appears anyway.
but i don´t see any functional problems. the time-gaps between the warnings are here 1 to 7 minutes.

even the shutters are not “undef” here. if i remember correct they are undef at startup, but when first moved they stay in defined state - think this is correct as the system cannot read the state like from a switch for example. you may persist them but if they where moved while openhab is down you will load back a wrong state.

@bastler: thx for your feedback.
Shutters: If I move them down for example the state is 100 but after a few seconds (actor makes a click sound) the state reverts to UNDEF. Maybe a config issue on my side (working with a F454 FW 2.0.51, didn’t mention it before)

This is normal behavior: it indicates the connection to the gateway has been quite for too long and a new one is created to test gateway is still reachable. I will lower the log level in the lib to INFO so the log is removed by default.

This is an already requested enhancement, can you open a new issue here?

This should explain what is happening.
@cybermcm if you have set correctly shutterRun and even after a full up (or full down) they remain UNDEF after a reboot, then you should send me the DEBUG log in a private msg.

for you to compare
this is my things-part for a shutter:

Thing bus_automation Abstell_Ro "Abstell_Ro" @ "Rollladen" [ where="81#4#01", shutterRun="17000" ]

and this the items-part:

Rollershutter iAbstell_Ro "Abstellraum[MAP(rollo.map):%s]" (iG_Rollo, iG_RolloJalo) { channel="openwebnet:bus_automation:bticino:Abstell_Ro:shutter", autoupdate="false" }

sidenotes:

1. as i have more installation-niveaus i have to use 81#4#01 for shutter with ambient nr 81 on installation niveau 1 - most people only need to insert the ambient nr without information about the installlation niveau
  2. as i know the behaviour for example whe i close an open shutter the state changes from 0 to 100 and when i interrupt the moving it changes back from 100 to the actual state. to pretend this i added autoupdate="false" to the items-information. test with or without, whatever you like more

Thanks for your answer, short summary from my side:

1. will be “fixed” if you lower the log level, thanks
  2. opened [openwebnet] Feature request: bticino things are all "unknown" after reboot · Issue #9703 · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub for this, thanks again
  3. fixed after setting shutterRun manually to the correct value. It seems that this is not working in auto mode for me but that is fine. Set all shutters to manual measured time and now it is working, thanks for the hint!
1 Like

@massi Hi, I wanted to know if anyone has tested the new codes for myhome touch system eg. article K8002L.

I do not know these products. If they connect to the OpenWebNet BUS and can be programmed as regular switches with a WHERE address, then yes they can be controlled from the binding

About the polls (you find them here):

I am bit surprised only 46 users responded in 3 weeks.
This shows very little interest in the evolution of this binding!
Are users not looking to the forum anymore?
Or they do not care about OpenWebNet and openHAB 3.0 ?
I suspect there are many more people using the official or the testing version of the binding… I will keep quiet… until we reach at least 50 answers!

@massi: I already voted, I think that a lot of folks will only come here if they face problems…
Please keep up your good work, really appreciate it.

I think that’s part of the problem. You went quiet for so long and no-one new why. People drifted away and stopped checking the thread. Some only came back when the binding expired.

Also its not just the binding that is being developed but the user use of it especially any new features and integration with other bindings which also developing. There is not much chat here about useage and so no reason for people to come looking for ideas.

So, the thread is quiet as a result… Just my thoughts…

If the more active users keep posting and especially if you, Massi, and others keep supporting on here then maybe they will drift back.

1 Like

Thanks @m4rk for your point of view.
Without wanting to make controversy (*), whatever the reason why not even 50 people answer 2 simple questions makes me think about the opportunity to invest “hobby coding” effort in this binding …

To include new features (for example a new WHO), well designed, takes literally several evenings of work and testing, also because OH maintainers rightly require a very high quality code and a lot of precision, something that is definitely not found in other opensource solutions.

Since the official binding in its current state already does everything I need in my personal home environment, adding more features is just a matter of hobby and “fun” in seeing that what you do is useful and interesting for someone.
So if “someone” is only 50 people … well as you can understand, the fun is little :wink:

Maybe people, as you say, come here only when something doesn’t work (the “testing” binding expires soon, we’ll see :wink: ) or maybe they have already migrated to other systems: there are in fact other open source solutions, but from what I understand they work badly. Or perhaps many have already migrated to new commercial products / solutions that ultimately no longer require OH.
I do not know the answer. But it is interesting to know.

Bottom line: not even 50 people interested are really much less than I expected.
What do you think?

(*) the reason why there was no update for so long from my side was also because there has been no feedback for so long about inserting the binding in the official OH distribution. Now the situation is very different: all the code is available and the binding is officially integrated in OH2-3. Also: progress maybe is done “behind the curtains” or on github, where actually all the OH contributors are following the progress, maybe not all the users.

Hi,

I already voted. I agree with M4rk, the expiration of the testing binding will move users to OH3 and hopefully this topic will get hotter. Maybe the poll should be pinned or re-posted to be more visible to members who come here less often. It could also help putting a link of the thread (or the poll) somewhere in the binding official page if possible (i.e. OpenWebNet (BTicino/Legrand) - Bindings | openHAB).

Besides, thanks for your hard work.

g

Thanks for the reply. It is apreciated.

I have always tried to encourage disucssions about BTicino openwebnet and not just here but elsewhere too, As you well know. There must be a very large number of people with this system in their houses but there is surprisingly little talk about it. I think a reason for this is that there are very few ‘nice’ places to discuss these topics and so the awarness of what people could do without paying installers seems limited to an expert, techy few. I know a lot more about what it is possible beyond just installing thanks this forum and others. I can now do a lot more with my expensive hardware than my installer was ever aware of or interested in.

As you just pointed out one very good reason to promote disucssions is to generate more interest because if there is little apparent interest then these activities will die a slow death. That’s not what I want to see happen. So, we need to keep this thread alive, vibrant and on top and support the users. Besides it’s fun talking and in doing so I learn as much if not more as I can give back If we encourage dialogue then people will see it, come back and more will discover the possibilities and get interested. If you somehow monetise your suport and expertise then more interest would also be good for you too.

There is another thread on here in the general section for related but non binding questions. It would be good if you linked to it at the top to direct others with more general and or basic operational questions >>>
https://community.openhab.org/t/bticino-myhome-suite-documentation-and-basics/87483/38
M

ps Thank you for all your hard work but if you disappear again please be as so kind to let us know why. We can then help, be sympathetic and patient if we understand your frustrations.

Voted weeks ago.

I don’t know if there’s a way to count the number of installed/downloaded official or beta testing binding but, I’m quite sure that are much much more than 50…

As already writteb above, the testing version works very well and it is not so unusual that people look at the forum post only when any problem arise. OH 3.0 went live just few weeks ago, it takes times before people will upgrade. I still use OH2 and the beta version as stable and have another installation with OH3 and official binding for testing.
A part from OH, I think that no other not commercial platform have the same feature as the testing binding or (hope shortly) the new OpenWebNet Library part of the official one.

Thanks for the work done but, after all the effort to become “official”, it shouldn become a “dead” binding :wink:

I think this is the best solution for remote control Bticino MyHome automation system.
Very interesting was also some previous release of the binding with energy monitor, scenarios, contacts… I think as soon the new binding will have few more features, for example the thermo regulation, ( is one of the most important from my point of view ) also a lot of professional people will propose openhab to final customer.
I would gladly help with development but unfortunately I don’t know this way of programming.
So if you wanna just share some documentation of how it woks and I’ll study and try.
Otherwise for any testing or simpler task just ask and I’ll give all the support I can.

Many thanks for this big work!

i vote too and i want to help if i can , thx , thx and thanks again for what you do every day for this binding

Thanks you all, and @massi especially.
I must admit I was not planning to vote (but just did it), to not interfere in the final selection as I would not take any benefit.
Indeed, the reason is very simple, and you mention it briefly for you: the binding does already all what I need @ home (I have no so much equipments using openwebnet).

I can tell you I appreciate a lot what you did, your binding (& OH of course) is for the only “good” way to manage my shutters & implements rules and scenarios.

So big thanks.