Bug: logs and zram | sdram fading

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 / 4GB
    • Java Runtime Environment: OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.45+27-CA (build 11.0.10+9-LTS)
    • openHAB version: 3.0.1 - Release Build

A while ago I’ve noticed that my logs stopped logging after a certain time. By browsing this formum I’ve noticed it was related to the zram system. Indeed, dissabling this solved the issue.
However I can’t seem to find any updates on the issue.

If just working from SD, how soon would this corrupt my system and how can I avoid it?

It’s really impossible to say how quickly it will wear out the SD card. It depends on write rates, size of the card, quality of the manufacturing, and more. All I can say is at some point, maybe next week, maybe in ten years, the SD card will wear out.

The way you avoid wearing out the SD card is to not write to it, which is what zram is configured as part of openHABian.

But the bigger source of corruption is going to be power loss. If you lose power while writing to the card, you’ll lose not only what was being written to, but anything else that might be in that same sector of storage. And because SD cards do wear leveling, that could be anything; part of the kernel, important configuration files, file tables, etc.

You should probably remove and re-install ZRAM from openhabian-config

There’s no known such bug, noone has opened a Github issue. If you want to help rather than just consume, show how to reproduce the problem, open a constructive issue and include the logs or a description how to reproduce the problem that show it really is a bug.
Properly describe your system (i.e. openHABian branch? from what date?) and what you have done to it.

“I have a problem and someone said he has, too” is a) not constructive and b) unlikely to be correct because people do many stupid things and a fair amount of analysis is required to make sure it’s really the same.

PS it is openHABian not “webhabian” and it isn’t SDRAM but flash mem on an SD card. SDRAM is actually damn volatile (the main mem in your computer is SDRAM).